5 gal Corney keg differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckinWA

Reaction score
it appears the only real difference is the lid which is not interchangeable.

It does say its ball lock/pepsi so as long as you have ball connections your all set.,

For the price, I don't care if its oval or racetrack, I think I would like the wider opening to get my hand in there better to scrub it clean.

I have a ball lock keg like that and it has different o-rings on both the in and out posts. I wouldn't even call them o-rings...more like nylon washers.

The keg does hold pressure but you might have to get creative if you ever had to replace those washers.

The only difference should be the lid itself and the lid o-ring which I believe is a slightly different size.

What I meant to say was the "o-rings" on the dip tubes are different...at least that is the case on the keg I have with this type of lid. The o-ring on the lid should be the same size.

Thanks gents. Ddub, are you happy with yours? Would you buy one again, or drop the extra couple bucks to get the "normal kind"? Having complete interchangability between kegs is probably worth a little, but probably not much (as long as the disconnects are the same).

I have one of those kegs, and the poppet was leaking... Getting parts for it is a challenge at best. Don't throw away the nylon gas-in dip tube - they aren't available ANYWHERE. You can use a standard lid O-Ring for the lid, but the O-rings on the dip tubes aren't. I couldn't find those O-Rings, but I tried stacking two O-rings and that worked. Also, if you want to replace the nylon spacer - Williams Brewing has something similar that you can sand down a bit to fit. Also, the poppets are hard to replace - but the ones for John Wood kegs fit when you use the nylon spacers from Williams Brewing.

Well it works for now, but if there wasn't much of a price difference I would probably go with the "normal" style. I know I saw somewhere on the web where a guy got some parts from the plumbing section at the hardware store and made new washers for the dip tubes. I'll see if I can find it.

Back