Porter recipe...to be barreled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
For whatever reason I never brew Porters. But now I have a 5 gal. whiskey barrel and want to brew up a Porter for it. I'm limited on my Chocolate malt (the dark Simpson's stuff), only have .75 lb but I have plenty of Roasted Barley and Carafa Special II. Here's my first shot...bleed all over it please.

Batch size is 6.5 gal (80% brewhouse efficiency)
Target OG = 1.064
Target FG = 1.016
Target SRM = 28
Target IBU = 35

10.5# Maris Otter
1# home-toasted Maris Otter (should be closest to Amber malt)
.5# Honey Malt (25L)
.5# Cara-malt (17L)
.5# Crystal (55L)
.75# Chocolate malt (425L)
.5# Flaked Barley

Planning to use dry yeast. I have S-05, S-04, and Notty. Was going to use the Notty I just got in mail (from the Notty yeast recall). If none of these are suitable I have a fresh pack of Wyeast European Ale. Do not want to use a slurry for this one (just to make damn sure I don't contaminate the barrel) so I'm a bit restricted on yeast.

1 oz Styrian Goldings pellet 5.2% FWH
1.25 oz Willamette whole 6.4% 60 min.
1 oz Willamette whole 6.4% 5 min.

The grain bill looks great to me! I can't comment on the hops because I have never used either of those. I love porters, and tend to stick with EK Goldings and Fuggles for my hops.

Thanks! Willamette is a common sub for UK-type hops. Styrian Goldings is the only appropriate (I think?) pellet hops I have and prefer to use pellet for FWH.

Back