WTF is a honey boo boo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I got rid of television like 5 or 6 years ago. It has been one of the greatest decisions we ever made. We have more time in our day, do more productive hobbies (like make booze!), and do not really miss television one bit. The only drawback is that occasionally when I hear a lot of "news" about something television related, I have no idea what its all about and have to ask things like...

"WTF is a honey boo boo?"

Never heard of it. I googled and this is what I found.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a reality television program on TLC that features beauty pageant participant Alana Thompson (Honey Boo Boo), along with her mother June Shannon, father Mike Thompson and her three older sisters. The show is mostly filmed in and around the family's hometown in rural McIntyre, Georgia, United States, a town in Middle Georgia east of Macon.

The Thompsons originally gained fame appearing on TLC’s Toddlers & Tiaras, which follows the lives of child beauty pageant contestants and their families.[1]

Sounds like some stupid piece of reality tv nonsense. And that Jon Benet Ramsey and the creepiness of child beauty pageants have been forgotten.

Holy crap. Googled it and pulled up a picture of the mom....
june-shannon.jpg

That is the mother of a beauty contestant? Talk about living vicariously...

Proof of what is wrong with the entire world. Yeah it is so bad that something in the US has ruined everything.

Ok, now I need to know, what's a TLC? :cross:

We have TV, but I find that since I don't have a dish or anything and we live in a rural area that I don't turn it on (except for a few Packers games, in which case I turn it off in the third quarter).

We rent about one movie a year, and turn on the TV in the living room for that. Now that my grandson comes over for a whole day at least once a week, I turn on one short movie for him per day. (It's a VCR player, if that tells you how old it is!).

We rent a house in Texas for 2 months per year, and they have cable and internet for us. We had friends (both 80 years old!) stay with us for a week last winter. They are well educated, well traveled, intelligent people. One is a retired physicist, and one is a retired teacher.

No lie, at 7 PM, the TV went on and stayed on until like 11:30. They enjoy their TV shows, and talk about them. I was very polite, but after a few days of this (loud fake laugh tracks, constant noise), I asked them to watch TV in their room after 10 PM.

They of course immediately complied, but really didn't "get" how I couldn't enjoy "Big Bang Theory" and the rest of the lineup. They really thought I would enjoy it. We talked about it, and it was a really nice discussion. I am used to quiet, but maybe with some music playing. Aside from actually sitting and watching something, say a particular documentary or a movie that is highly acclaimed, I just can't see sitting down in front of a fake noisemaker. But they don't "get" my internet time, either. They totally understood my addiction to books, but not at all the internet- beyond looking up something specific or doing email. They both have email accounts that they check daily, and look up things, but never spend any time reading news or of course not forums!

So it was a wonderful discussion of who we are as people.

I think there are people who got into the habit of watching TV every evening, maybe as kids, and that is what they do. I never had that habit, and was in the Army as a young adult without a TV in a foreign country. It just never was something I was accustomed to, although I had a TV when I got out of college and out of the Army.

We still have TVs in the house but only watch Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs and even those are going to crap. Booze built America was OK but was a ripoff off How Beer Saved the World. In general there are fewer and fewer reasons to watch TV other than to turn your mind to mush..........and beer is a much more pleasant method to achieve that.:mug:

My wife and I also stopped watching tv about 3 years ago. Only turn the tube on for games or netflix, can't believe how many hours I watched of useless commercial spam. Dont even watch football, altho I did like watching golf.

And im glad I didt know anything about that show you heard of. But now I do :(

Holy crap. Googled it and pulled up a picture of the mom....
june-shannon.jpg

That is the mother of a beauty contestant? Talk about living vicariously...

Dude. She is so hot. Probably all the time, what with carrying all that weight. Damn. That is so far beyond reason.

TLC, Discovery, History, they were all great channels. Were. They've really slid down in the muck over the years. Still some good shows, but fewer all the time.

Nat Geo is still fairly okay. The Smithsonian has a channel that looks promising.

I'm just wondering as I sit here watching the Tigers/A's game, sports, movies, news and educational programs are all I watch. Seriously, I had no clue what a Honey Boo Boo was before this thread. Obviously, folks watch these kid of shows, that's why they're so popular, but really..... who? And why? What in the name of all things is remotely entertaining about an obese (and hideously unattractive) woman exploiting her child to the point of making her look like street walking trash (basing this on the adorable picture above). I've never watched the show, so maybe there's some appeal, but really, honestly, I've been worried about the path our society's been on since the dawn of "reality" television. Mainly because stupid people think "reality" TV means that it's real, and that real people should act like that. That scares me.

Sorry, rant over. Had a few and figured those posting here may appreciate my views on television.

On a lighter note, and one that's truly about reality TV, how bout those baseball games tonight?! Two walk off wins, one in extras. Oakland scored 3 in the ninth to win!!! Gotta love the underdogs winning so dramatically!!

I think the eventual destination of reality shows is going to be people literally killing each other for the publics entertainment. When you think about it, it has to lead there. And the ratings would be off the charts. Kind of like a gladiator version of American Idol.

I think the eventual destination of reality shows is going to be people literally killing each other for the publics entertainment. When you think about it, it has to lead there. And the ratings would be off the charts. Kind of like a gladiator version of American Idol.

Sadly, that's all to true man. When I was a kid and read The Running Man, I wished there was such a TV show. Now, when I see commercials for some of the cr@p that's on, I wonder if that's the inevitable outcome. Unfortunately, I don't see any other way it could end. :cross:

That's why the movie "The Running Man" was ahead of its time. :mug:

My wife and I got rid of television like 5 or 6 years ago. It has been one of the greatest decisions we ever made. We have more time in our day, do more productive hobbies (like make booze!), and do not really miss television one bit. The only drawback is that occasionally when I hear a lot of "news" about something television related, I have no idea what its all about and have to ask things like...

"WTF is a honey boo boo?"

A 7 year old hillbilly girl & her family behaving badly for a "reality" show. Reportedly the 7yo is paid $40K/episode, the other family members are paid less. The fact that they're paid at all, or even allowed to be on TV (other than as news) is simply appalling. Apparently the show appeals to the lowest common denominator, as does most (but not all) television. Think I'll donate to PBS now. :cross:
Regards, GF.

The commercials for the show are kind of amusing. They take a redneck 7 year old, give her "gogo juice" a mix of Red Bull and Mountain Dew, and film what happens. The result, in small small doses, is pretty funny. I have never been able to stomach the idea of sitting through an episode.

Listen, I think reality tv has done some good things. On MasterChef, for example, a vision impaired contestant was able to win without using any unfair advantages. Thats a first. Little People Big World was interesting in how uninteresting it was, basically proving that little people are drearily normal. But why we as a nation continue to provide viewership for shows in which nothing really happens, no skill or formerly underrepresented group is showcased, and the "stars" behave poorly, I will never know.

I never really know what to say when someone says "OMG! Did you see XXXXXX last night! It was the best. Episode. Eva!" When I say we don't have cable and don't really watch TV they can't believe it. We have a 3 year old so sitting and watching TV just doesn't work. If we want to watch something we rent a movie. I can still watch the football games (GO Bison!) and that works for me. I had to decide if I wanted to pay for cable or pay for smart phones. The phones won. I spend too much time on my phone, but that is a different issue.

I'm sitting here denigrating this show...while at the same time watching the latest episode of "Duck Dynasty" on Hulu.....*sigh*

But I just love the Redneck Philosophy....and their wives are kinda hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... pump a 7 year old full of mountain dew and red bull. I foresee an early death and uproar in the near future.

An early death is inevitable. Look at the mom. It's not like they are a "healthy" family. I have seen this show once. I can tell you that it's spin-off of "Toddler's and Tiara's". For the record, I don't watch any of this crap but have flipped by it and my wife has watched an episode or two. It really is funny in very small doses.

Now, as a father of 3 girls, I think it is horrific to dress your small child up like a whore and parade her around. Even worse than that are the mothers that are trying so hard to live vicariously through said girls. And even worse than that, are the way these little girls act. If my kids EVER talked to me the way I have seen some on these girls talk to their parents, they wouldn't be able to sit for a week.

Reality TV is terrible and is a huge factor in the Idiocracy (go away, I'm batin') that is taking over America. When Paris Hilton and the Kardashian's are famous for no other reason than a stupid TV show, we are doomed.

One last thing, I am attending a Halloween party in a couple of weeks. I am going as Honey Boo Boo. My wife has been making my bloomers and tutu for the last few days. I am gonna look awesome! :ban:

WildGingerBrewing said:
An early death is inevitable. Look at the mom. It's not like they are a "healthy" family. I have seen this show once. I can tell you that it's spin-off of "Toddler's and Tiara's". For the record, I don't watch any of this crap but have flipped by it and my wife has watched an episode or two. It really is funny in very small doses.

Now, as a father of 3 girls, I think it is horrific to dress your small child up like a whore and parade her around. Even worse than that are the mothers that are trying so hard to live vicariously through said girls. And even worse than that, are the way these little girls act. If my kids EVER talked to me the way I have seen some on these girls talk to their parents, they wouldn't be able to sit for a week.

Reality TV is terrible and is a huge factor in the Idiocracy (go away, I'm batin') that is taking over America. When Paris Hilton and the Kardashian's are famous for no other reason than a stupid TV show, we are doomed.

One last thing, I am attending a Halloween party in a couple of weeks. I am going as Honey Boo Boo. My wife has been making my bloomers and tutu for the last few days. I am gonna look awesome! :ban:

You were doing good till the end there chief.

Back