picking first beer kit help (????'s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBDA1stLady

Reaction score
Ok im on midwest supplies website where I am purchasing my beer making kit....

so ill buy my beer kit here. i decided on a scottish ale...

however when i pull down the tab there are 5 options...

are these different types of scottish ales or different ways of making beer.. VERY NEWBBIE QUESTION..im sure but none of these sound like beers ive had before so im so lost...

(im sure this makes sense to someone)

it says choose yeast type...
mutons 6gm dry yeast
fermintis safeale s-04 11.5 gm dry yeast
scottish ale wyeast propogator 1728
scottish ale wheast activator 1728
white labs edinburgh ale 028

THANKS!!!

none of these say how long they take to make on the website, im guessing they will tell me when i buy the kit, but i wasnt hoping for anything that took a long time!

It's giving you the option to choose the yeast to include in the kit, this is standard when buying kits.

I'd go with either of the dry yeasts for your first batch..in fact I always just choose the cheapest yeast option, cause I'm not too snobby about my beer yet. I'm sure I'll get there, and you will too; for now, stick with the cheap option.

none of these say how long they take to make on the website, im guessing they will tell me when i buy the kit, but i wasnt hoping for anything that took a long time!

for the most part, they'll be the same. sure we could go into a big complicated discussion about how liquid yeast is better and dry yeast is easier and whatnot but again, it's your first batch, no reason to complicate it.

just plan on 3 weeks in primary, and another 3 weeks after bottling.

oh..and the kit will likely say 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle(1/2/3) or 1/1/3...I've even seen 1/1/1. skip that, just do 3 in primary 3 in bottle.

All the same kit, it's asking you what yeast you want. The different yeasts will sometimes influence fermentation, fermentation aroma, beer taste, and final aroma.

You should search to find their different characteristics.

They range from 24.50-28.50

so thats not a huge difference..but i guess my next question is.. each one gives it a different flavor then im guessing? how the hell do i know whats what? I have to wait and try each kind of beer with each kind of yeast? lol this could take lots of time!!

i think ill just take your word for it and go cheap for first batch! :)

THANK YOU!!

The drop down menu shows different types of yeasts. The type of yeast you choose will change the way the beer tastes. Those yeasts are selected to give the best results for a style of beer. No matter which yeast you choose, you'll wind up with (in this case) Scottish Ale. I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever one you decide on.
How long it takes? Hmm, do you mean brew day? (sanitation) From boil to drinkable? (sanitation) There a number of factors that affect that. How hot your burner gets, etc., etc.. If this is your first brew session (sanitation), I would think four or five hours isn't unreasonable for brew day. Three weeks in the primary and three weeks in the bottle is what I normally use. About 6 weeks altogether. Sanitation is very important! Hope this helped some. pete

just go with the s-04, it should be a little better than the muntons and not overly complicated, I actually enjoy using that yeast in some of my brews

You could always try morebeer.com as well. I've never ordered form them online, but they have a show room down the road from me. They've got tons of kits and the kit comes with really detailed instructions. That's how I made my 1st brew.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18428/103528/Mikes_American_Amber_Ale_-_Extract_Beer_Kit

This is the best kit I've ever made. After 3-4 weeks in the bottle, it's so absolutely delicious. It's pretty much amber ale perfection.

just go with the s-04, it should be a little better than the muntons and not overly complicated, I actually enjoy using that yeast in some of my brews

Yes, me too! Munton's is garbage, and only a 6 gram package at that. It won't work well for you. But the S04 is dry yeast, and will work great with a Scottish. It's a very good quality dry yeast, and I use it often.

Yes, me too! Munton's is garbage, and only a 6 gram package at that. It won't work well for you. But the S04 is dry yeast, and will work great with a Scottish. It's a very good quality dry yeast, and I use it often.
Same here S-04 has never done me wrong.

"Make alcohol the easy way with today's Groupon: for $64, you get a brewing essentials equipment kit (a $56.95 value), a steel bottle opener (a $14.95 value), your choice of either an Irish red ale, an autumn amber ale, or an Irish stout ingredient kit (up to a $25.95 value), an instructional DVD (a $4.95 value), and a $25 gift certificate for your second batch shipped from Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies (up to a $127.80 total value). A $12 shipping fee is not included in the price of this Groupon."

my cost witht he Scottish ale was gonna be $103,,, with this i get irish red ale and a $25 coupon on the next!!! for 76!!!

With the Scottish 70/- kit I brewed, I used two packs of the wyeast 1728. 2 wks primary, 2 wks secondary (just cuz I'm o.c.d. About clear beer) and they took 3-4 weeks in bottles and are now excellent beer. Good beer takes quality yeast and most importantly TIME. Those kits can make great beer, but following their instructions for ferment times is often a mistake. Ferment for at least 3 weeks, using a secondary is entirely up to you but it will serve to clarify your beer before kegging/bottling.

The groupon will usually show up every few days, if I was you I would wait to order until like Monday, that way you have 3 days for the groupon to maybe show up, I will keep my eyes open daily for you and send you a pm if I find another one (it usually varies by area, but anyone can buy them)

Check St. Louis. We got the Groupon earlier in the week, so it should still be good. I bought it a few cities ago :)

Latest posts

Back