Natural gas brew stand - 23 tip burner to 10 tip conversion build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nice to work there.

It is a CFC but I use it for chilling and controlling the mash temp. I figured if you can run cold water thru the jacket line to cool it, why can't you run hot water thru it to keep it hot? Before I recurculated the wort thru a coil that sat inside my HLT. I wanted to take it out of the HLT and came up with the coil you see. Since stainless isn't a great temp conducter like copper I went with a wall thickness of .022 for the small line that runs thru the larger line.

The square plug was taken from an old computer power supply and I'm using a computer power cord. That way no one will borrow the extension cord for something else ;) I wanted an electrical hook up that was clean and not something that was hanging off.

I checked out your pics. Nice setup you have going on! I'm going to work on my cold room today and hook up the electronics. I have a two chamber cabinet that is going to be hooked up to a chest freezer. The top is cabinet is going to be the "serving" chamber with the kegs and taps. The bottom is going to be the fermentation chamber. I'll try to post some pics later today.

How well does your plastic conical work? Any contamination issues? I have one as well but a little nervous to use it for the first time. I like your stand. I'll have to weld up some leg extensions for mine. I also have some sankey kegs and large stainless conical cones. I was thinking of cutting those up and building some fermentors.

71715_1626666753915_1453937765_1607630_2370417_n.jpg

The switch is green when the pump is running, red when it is off (but has power) Notice the sampling valves, they also prime pump.
37206_1605957196189_1453937765_1570680_1121927_n.jpg

Gas tube
59035_1567369631524_1453937765_1490258_1749264_n.jpg

Notice union joint. Plan is to purchase a set of propane burners so they can be easily switched out if I take the stand somewhere and have to bring my own fuel.
59035_1567369591523_1453937765_1490257_1907783_n.jpg

Hooked up to house gas. They all burn just fine and are easy to control.
73910_1655045583368_1453937765_1661133_6171463_n.jpg

It is nice to work there.

It is a CFC but I use it for chilling and controlling the mash temp. I figured if you can run cold water thru the jacket line to cool it, why can't you run hot water thru it to keep it hot? Before I recurculated the wort thru a coil that sat inside my HLT. I wanted to take it out of the HLT and came up with the coil you see. Since stainless isn't a great temp conducter like copper I went with a wall thickness of .022 for the small line that runs thru the larger line.

The square plug was taken from an old computer power supply and I'm using a computer power cord. That way no one will borrow the extension cord for something else ;) I wanted an electrical hook up that was clean and not something that was hanging off.

I checked out your pics. Nice setup you have going on! I'm going to work on my cold room today and hook up the electronics. I have a two chamber cabinet that is going to be hooked up to a chest freezer. The top is cabinet is going to be the "serving" chamber with the kegs and taps. The bottom is going to be the fermentation chamber. I'll try to post some pics later today.

How well does your plastic conical work? Any contamination issues? I have one as well but a little nervous to use it for the first time. I like your stand. I'll have to weld up some leg extensions for mine. I also have some sankey kegs and large stainless conical cones. I was thinking of cutting those up and building some fermentors.

The switch is green when the pump is running, red when it is off (but has power) Notice the sampling valves, they also prime pump.

Gas tube

Notice union joint. Plan is to purchase a set of propane burners so they can be easily switched out if I take the stand somewhere and have to bring my own fuel.

Hooked up to house gas. They all burn just fine and are easy to control.

You have a lot going on here! Excellent work, really. If I may, I'd like to suggest that you create a thread for this brewstand. It deserves so much more attention than what this thread can provide. I mean, you've created a hybrid heat exchanger! I've honestly never heard of such a thing. I plan on doing a NG/LPG hybrid upgrade, too. I'm really intereseted in your fermentation design as I am designing one, as well.

You have a lot going on here! Excellent work, really. If I may, I'd like to suggest that you create a thread for this brewstand. It deserves so much more attention than what this thread can provide. I mean, you've created a hybrid heat exchanger! I've honestly never heard of such a thing. I plan on doing a NG/LPG hybrid upgrade, too. I'm really intereseted in your fermentation design as I am designing one, as well.

+1, very nice keithster, very clean, really would like some more documentation on the build.

Judging by all the problems people seem to be having with the jet burners I think I'll be staying with the banjo burners for my single tier brew stand build, less noise, better control and heaver?

Bringing up an old thread but I have now used my natural gas stand 3 times and love it! The first time is used it I kept all 23 tips, mistake. I didn't like the one on the OP because it wasn't spread out enough so I did my own version and have no issues with lighting all the tips at once.

image-749643866.jpg

I bought this burner, but due to negative opinion about it, I may pass on installing it. What would you suggest that can boil 6-15 gallons in < 30 minutes, and can be regulated easily once at boil? It needs to be natural gas, and beyond that, as long as it can get my wort up to temp in a reasonable amount of time, I'm happy.

Well actually I picked up three of the 32 tip burners.I have done a test burn and they look good.
I have installed them on my gravity three tier and plumbed them for hookup to outside gas valve.
If I blew it, I'll admit it, but have three brews coming up next week. If it bombs, then I have a hell of lot a work to do:)

Oh forgot, used 1/2" ID copper and black pipe.

Last edited:
For those who have this burner:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

is it safe to assume that Hurricane burner NG conversion would work? They list the BG14 and it appears this uses the BG12. I am assuming it uses the same 1/4" NPT.

Honestly, I plan to drill out the existing orifice to 3/32", test then 1/8" and test. If that all works I will just add ball valve for adjustment and ...you guess it, test. In the end I am assuming the burner will do what I need on NG if a bit slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up using Bobby_M's design but with 17 jets, blocking the center four and two others. I have no problems with using a pilot light and not having all jets light as long as my kettle in on the stand when the jets light off. Take it off and not all jets light up.

I also fought orange sooty flames by trying various heights of the burner. Nothing worked until I put a couple of angle irons on top of the stand and set the kettle on them. I have wider kettles (Megapot) and I believe they block enough of the side area that the CO2 cushion Bobby_M talks about develops very quickly underneath the kettle. Raising the kettle an inch or so provided enough vent area that everything works fine.

My NG supply is half inch and I have a regulator dropping the pressure to 3.5 pounds. I also have a ball valve downstream of the control solenoid.

More pics. I've having gas problems with my brutus and have the same burners. The link would work too. Thanks in advance.

hi guys sorry if this has been covered here, I didn't read the entire thread. I am in the first steps of designing a natural gas powered brew room with a 3-tier gravity feed system. I was going to set the HLT burner on a cabinet I build (nonflammable top). Thus I only need a standard burner stand for these high BTU wok burners, I dont need an elaborate metal 3-tier stand for the whole setup. E.g. It would be perfect if I could swap out the burners from my blichmann propane burner for these NG wok burners. I know that could work but is NOT economical.

Are there any cheap stand options out there that I can mount one of these burners in, or will I have to make a simple stand from some tube steel or something?

Thanks for your help!

Reviving an old thread. I just bought this burner to use with the natural gas connection on my patio. I'm going to plug the outside tips (mentioned above) and give it a shot. It won't mount to my Dark Star - so I'll have to figure out another way, but have some ideas based on this thread. Lots of good info - if anyone else has photos of how they mounted (or what did or didn't work) - feel free to post.

Again - great thread!

Back