How do I make a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am about to start my second brew. This one is a mini-mash IPA. The directions recommend a yeast starter. Basically I know what it is and why its is needed, but I do not know the exact directions for starting it and how to handle it.

Can anyone out there help me?

Thank you in advance,

Bob

That is an awesome thread ElP.

Mayday, I make 1 quart starters with a generous cup of Light DME in a half gallon growler, then aerate and pitch the yeast, much like it is described in ElP's thread. I have never hopped the starter.

This site has some additional info on White Labs and Wyeast in starters: http://www.homebrew.com/how_to/advanced_brewing.shtml

-magno

thanks guys. Those definitely help. I will get the growler Monday. Is there anything I can use in place of the DME, or is that the best to use? I don't really have a homebrew store close to my place, so I would either have to make a special trip or order the DME online.

mayday1019 said:
thanks guys. Those definitely help. I will get the growler Monday. Is there anything I can use in place of the DME, or is that the best to use? I don't really have a homebrew store close to my place, so I would either have to make a special trip or order the DME online.

Yeah, you wanna use DME, unless you have some LME. The yeast does better if it's used to eating what it's going to be eating when you pitch it.

If I'm making a starter for a batch, can I use some of the DME from the recipe I will be using or is it better to just buy some extra DME?

Shabazz, it's best to just buy extra. You can always use it for making starters, and you can use it if you're in the middle of a brewday and find your original gravity is a bit low, you can just throw some DME in there to get the gravity up to where you want it. I recommend getting 3 lbs of extra light DME, it's only $10 to $12...well worth it to always have some on hand.

Cheers.

Back