oxyclean question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emccarthy25

Reaction score
I've been reading that oxyclean free is a commonly used(inexpensive) cleaner. Unfortunatly, I can't find the 'free' in my area. Would it be detrimental to use the regular oxyclean versatile(non-free)?

I've been using the standard scented stuff for over a year without any perceptable issues. Anything I use it on gets followed up with a good rinse and sanitizing bath (star san)

I've used the scented stuff and it didn't seem to impart any flavor but oxyclean is expensive. If there is a dollar store nearby check there. I bought 16 oz of what is called "Awesome Oxygen" base cleaner for 75 cents, it's unscented and contains sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. The same thing used in Oxyclean.

Hmm, I will have to look ito the dollar stores in my area. As far as sams club, there is one, but too far for it to be worthwhile to get a membership

+1 to not using brand name oxyclean. We get generic, much cheaper equally effective at de-labeling and de-gluing. You should be able to find some at Kroger, Wal-Mart, Target, or any number of places.

I've had problems with genetic oxyclean leaving residue that is hard to remove. That maybe due to my local water. I haven't had any problems with name brand.

NO issues...bought the largest size when I started brewing, realized it was the normal brand after I used it...going to use it until its done. I'm not planning on switching unless its cheaper or the same price.

But you should rinse it very well

You may also find the "free" formula of Oxiclean @ Target. That is where I purchase mine locally.

Got my Oxy Free at Wally world for about 7 bucks. I think it was a 4 Lb tub. I'll be using that for a while. I also have PBW and Star-san so I got cleaning and sanitizing covered 100%. I'm a clean freak so I tend to go overboard with my sanitation practices since I am prone to catching infections anyway. Just a thought or two from the fringe.
Bob

You should check Wal-Mart or K-Mart out for Sun Oxygen Cleaner. Its about half the price for the same amount, its unscented, and it cleans just as well as Oxy.

I am not sure if you have a Big Lots near you, but I've found they are the cheapest around for Sun in my area.

To save money, you really don't need to use as much as they recommend. I use about a quarter of a scoop or less for most things and I've been using the same tub for 13 batches with still some left to spare

Back