Another noob hitting the panic button

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed my first IPA on Sunday (5th batch, 3rd AG, 2.5 gal) and I'm not seeing any signs of fermentation. The OG was way lower than expected (1.041 vs 1.056 target, could have been a bad measure but likely due to putting too much water into my mash). I used Safale-05 and sprinkled it onto 70-75 degree wort. The wort was well aerated so I'm fairly certain that isn't the problem. I did shake the bucket to aerate further before the yeast had time to fully settle. I put the bucket in a swamp cooler and the temp dropped to 63-65, and then got down to 59 by the first morning. I think that was my problem. I've since taken the bucket out of the cooler and slowly brought it back up to 70-72 in the last 36 hours. Still no bubbles. still trying not to panic here. Right now my plan is to leave it until tomorrow and if there's still no signs then take a gravity reading and pitch more yeast if necessary (hydrating first this time). Does this sound like a good plan? I already pitched a whole packet onto 2.5 gal, would pitching another be over pitching? Just wondering if i need to stop by my LHBS for more yeast. Is there anything at this point that I could do to jumpstart the fermentation other than pitching more yeast?

. . . . . . Is there anything at this point that I could do to jumpstart the fermentation other than pitching more yeast?

Yea, get off the panic button and get on the RDWHAHB bus, there is no need to worry until after about 4 days, if it doesn't take off by then check the gravity and proceed back to the panic button.:mug:

a couple things

you are going to getting a quicker lag time and more viable cell count by he-hydrating the yeast
59 is the low end for that yeast but it will also start slow at that temp but 70 is a bit warm for it even though they say 75, I am leary of that.
just because you don't see bubble doesn't mean there is no activity, what if you have a leak in your airlock for example

I didnt get any bubbles my first bucket batch, You could peek in to check if there is foam or was foam and any krausen.You could have not sealed well,did you press on the top to see if it bubbled? If you do open it dont pull of the airlock it could suck it back in i think, just open a side. Dont worry about the bubbles, a gravity reading is the real indicator of fermentation.The airlock just lets off excess co2 keeps& o2 out. Did you use half a pack of 05 thats about what you want for 2.5 gal. Other wise its overpitching really, also its possible you had a higher og if you did a partial boil and used top off.Many complain of false readings from wort not mixed well with water.
You dont want to get more than 5 degrees differnece for temps you could stress the yeast with big swings from 60-72. 65 would have been good.

Sounds like the problem is a combination of not rehydrating and temp shock......

You've already dealt with the temperature issue, so I would get more yeast and follow these instructions.

The following information was obtained from "How To Brew" by John Palmer.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Preparing Dry Yeast

Dry yeast should be re-hydrated in water before pitching. Often the concentration of sugars in wort is high enough that the yeast can not draw enough water across the cell membranes to restart their metabolism. For best results, re-hydrate 2 packets of dry yeast in warm water (95-105°F) and then proof the yeast by adding some sugar to see if they are still alive after de-hydration and storage. If it's not showing signs of life (churning, foaming) after a half hour, your yeast may be too old or dead. Unfortunately, this can be a common problem with dry yeast packets, especially if they are the non-name brand packets taped to the top of malt extract beer kits. Using name brand brewers yeasts like those mentioned previously usually prevents this problem. Have a third packet available as back-up.

Re-hydrating Dry Yeast

1. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105F, 35-40C) boiled water into a sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with Saran Wrap and wait 15 minutes.
2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.
3. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
4. After 30 minutes or so the yeast should be visibly churning and/or foaming, and is ready to pitch.

Hope This Helps

Ok, so I'm now on the RDWHAHB bus. I must have caught the late bus :mug:

I have yet to see activity in the airlock but opened up the fermentor today and there's definitely a drop in gravity and visible krausen. So I have it back in the swamp cooler now and will for a few more weeks.

Now my next problem that I would like to address is the low OG. Since my OG was so low, if it hits the expected FG, I'll be just under 4% ABV, when the target was to be around 6. I've been reading some of Palmers book and the section on brewing with sugars says that sugar can be used to boost the alcohol level without increasing the body of the beer. I was planning on racking this to secondary and dry hopping. Would it be possible to add some sugar while racking and get some more fermentation going, and then add the dry hops after the vigorous fermentation has ceased? If so, what should my method be for this?

Its kind of late in the process the be futzing with it.Its going to thin and dry your beer and not to metion give it a weird not beer taste from my experience but others may disagree,Ive used honey not much in a dunkel turned out awesome.If you do add sugar your going to want to wait a few more weeks but if you want some body maybe boil dme maybe,but i would just roll with it and keep it a 4%. Then go for a 6% on your next one.

you should be able to add any fementable ( honey, corn sugar, DME/LME) to the secondary....for an IPA i'd use more malt tho. and you shouldn't even have to wait for secondary (should be able to get it into primary)
...I'm no expert tho : )

I recently used US-05 for the first time in an amber ale. I rehydrated and pitch around 68*. I had about 46-48 hours of lag time. I think it's just the nature of that yeast. When it finally got busy it went nuts and finished quickly (about 24 hours). I haven't tried the beer yet (still in primary) but from what I have read those are normal characteristics for that yeast so the beer should be great.

Back