Black Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
So I was going for an asian inspired GF ale and found some black rice. Wasn't sure if this would impart any color or not but figured I could try and get some OG points by mashing it with amylase enzyme.

Holy crap! It turned everything purple. Deep purple. Even after adding sorghum and brown rice syrup still dark purple. Will post about the recipe later but just wanted to share this.

Did the rice specify that it was Gluten Free?

Most Black strains are very glutinous. Commonly reffered to as Black Sticky rice.

Everywhere I've read says that it is not and glutinous does not mean having gluten just referring to how sticky it is.

Did the rice specify that it was Gluten Free?

Most Black strains are very glutinous. Commonly reffered to as Black Sticky rice.

Rice and corn gluten is not a problem for Celiacs to digest. I only learnt this when I was looking up info on "glutinous rice".

Rice and corn gluten is not a problem for Celiacs to digest. I only learnt this when I was looking up info on "glutinous rice".

This is indeed the case, the only way that this could not be gluten free is if it is actually a member of the wheat family, which I dont think black rice is.

I haven't had a problem eating it normally (I usually add coconut milk and sugar). I doubt it'd be different if used in a beer (sans coconut milk of course). Same thing with any of the other rice strains. It's a rare day when I don't have rice (usually jasmine or sticky) with at least one of my meals.
The only issue would be if it was processed on a line that processed wheat, and while it isn't impossible, seems to be rather rare.

It's a rare day when I don't have rice (usually jasmine or sticky) with at least one of my meals..

I think that's probably the case for all of us. ;)

I use calrose medium grain for flexibility and costco availability.

Back