regulator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you replace the gauge, note if it is a Left Hand Thread (LHT) or a Right Hand Thread RHT.
It should say on the back. Make sure you get the same kind. I believe most are LHT.

i had thought for all the regulated (low) pressure side of the regulator, the threads were right hand threads? and on some the high pressure gauge are left hand threads? i think the general rule of thumb is a primary regulator has left hand threads for the high pressure and secondary regulators have right hand threads. i have two primary regulators, one has RHT, the other LHT, and i have two secondary regulators, both RHT, so there are definite exceptions, but i think that is a general guideline. just look at your regulator when you get it to see what kind of threads you should get though.

Excellent, I figured if it wasn't the right kind I could always re-ebay it, and for $16.50 it was worth a shot :)

Now assuming I pick up a keg for $25 at the LHBS, and can manage to get a lease on a CO2 tank, what other little bits do I need? Cobra tap I know, some line of some sort, connectors?

Hopefully I can get a tank lease, I just bought a new main fridge so I can use the old one as a beer fridge, so I'm trying to get the keg setup cheap...

Couple of folks here went "kegging" for less than 100 bucks. I just took the plunge and ordered a "kit" with everything I need minus the refrigerator for around 200 bucks, included two rebuilt kegs. You can get kegs cheaper but that would entail that you clean and re-seal them yourself. From what I've heard, dirty kegs are a PITA to clean and test. It's well worth the extra 20 bucks to have someone else do it. Your going to need some 1/4 or 3/16 inch tubing. Cobra heads will work great but you'll have to re-adjust your keg pressures when your serving and storing unless you can balance out the line.

I'm shooting for < $100. I've only got one batch brewing now so I figure, start with one keg and add on. I need to call my local store and see if the $25 kegs are good to go or need work. If they're cleaned and tested and have fresh gaskets, that's cheaper than I've been able to find with any mail order (inc. shipping).

So basically I need these things:

http://www.ebrew.com/cornelius_kegging_system_ball_lock/cornelius_ball_lock_gas_set-up.htm
http://www.ebrew.com/cornelius_kegging_system_ball_lock/cornelius_ball_lock_beverage_set-up.htm

Plus kegs and a CO2 tank right?

Or is there any cheaper way than buying those set ups, i.e. just buy tubing and the connectors or some other connection method?

If I have multiple kegs, can I serve out of all of them without a CO2 splitter/manifold, i.e. give each a shot of gas every now and then and be able to dispense, or do I have to split the CO2 and have each tank hooked up to the tank at all times?

debtman7 said:
Excellent, I figured if it wasn't the right kind I could always re-ebay it, and for $16.50 it was worth a shot :)

It should be Ok. Just letting you know that if you replace the guage for a more accurate one as Cheyco recommends (and I agree), that there are two types of thread RHT and LHT and Norhtern Brewer sells.

I've got two and the thread is different on both so I'm not sure what the standard is.

Back