Wet-hopped beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever had one?

I listened to an old TBN episode tonight with Vinnie Cilurzo, who was talking about growing hops and then harvesting them to make wet hopped beers. Essentially you pick the hops straight off the vine and brew with them. He says they are amazing, and totally different than regular beer. Unfortunately you have to use six times as much hops to get enough flavor and IBUs from them.

Well, this got me thinking. I will probably have enough hops from at least my second year Mt. Hood and Northern Brewer hops to make something. If I get enough NB I could do a wet-hopped steam beer. I could use the Mt. Hood as aroma hops in that then. It sounds freaking awesome, and I've been wanting to do another steam beer, so I think I'll come up with a recipe.

On the show, Vinnie also gave out a recipe for a wet-hopped IPA. :rockin:
I put it into promash, for uh, future reference. It has 47 ounces of wet hops in it! :rockin:

I did one last year at Hop Madness. Stuffed a keg full of Willamette right off of the vine & filled it with an IPA I had prepared for the occasion. Worked fairly well, some was enjoyed that day, but I took most of it home (there's a lot of homebrew at HM). After about two months, it was getting grassy. Next time, I'll give it a week and filter it.

By the way, Hop Madness is dedicated to brewing with hops off the vine. Four or five vines were obtained from a local farm & we had about 10 people brewing that day.

You have to use a heap of wet hops, 5 or 6 times as much as you would dried.

The pros up here also do fresh hop ales. Last year, Mark at Golden Valley had a Fresh Hopped Ale tasting. There were 12 brews, all done with hops less than 48 hours from the farm. He kept the leftovers around and rotated them into a guest tap, one at a time.

A few years back I was in Seattle and came across some Bert Grant's Fresh Hopped Ale, it was awesome, and of course you can't find it anywhere around here. Sounds like I might have to go back to Seatlle this fall.

here in San Diego a local pub (O'briens, a craft beer pub) has a Wet Hop Festival every october. A bunch of west coast breweries send kegs of Wet hop brews, it is outstanding. This year I recall 4 of 5 being on tap....i don't recall the end of the night though haha
Sierra Nevada and Ballast Point had beers that stand out in my mind.

Back