Corny keg interior etched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
One of my recent corny purchases feels as if the interior has some etching. Someone probably left bleach in it for too long. Anyhow, I have had it soaking with Oxyclean, and plan to sanitize tomorrow before adding my beer. The question is, will it be okay? Anyone else deal with this?

Wash and towel dry it well, turn it upside down and leave it to exposure to air for a couple weeks. The O2 will help repasivate the etched areas. It wont take away the etching but should help renew the oxidation layer that protects stainless and aluminum.

Thanks for the reply. My "etching" turned out to be the remains of a mystery fluid. I poured two gallons of boiling water in, followed by a scrubbing with a brush, then the brush on an SOS pad. After that it was nuked with bleach, then given some iodophor. Now it is full of my Buffalo Water Barley Wine!

Is that true of the green or white scrubbies, or just steel ones? I never repassivate after cleaning with a green/white (3M type) scrubby.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend SOS pads on stainless. SOS is not a stainless pad.

Are you positive its etched? Three of the kegs I bought used looked scratched and rusty it was just some beerstone on the inside. If the local farm supply store ever gets the dairy rinse in they will be clean and shiny in no time. Try using a little baking soda on a damp sponge of you are able to clean a little spot with a lot of effort you to could have beerstone.

John

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the inside of my keg is scratched. The last owner must have used a steel scratchy or something and it's got some circular scratches on the bottom of the keg.

Is this anything to worry about? I was thinking in terms of harbouring bacteria, but not sure if that applies to s/steel in the same way that it does to plastic FV's or whatever...

Thanks.

Back