How heavy is too heavy for a tap handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFoodScientist

Reaction score
I bought some used standard faucets that I sold the old tap handles, and I've been looking for something unique.

I found some port wine bottles that I added threaded inserts to with resin, and now that I have them together, I'm wondering if they're too heavy. (Two I added the inserts in the neck, so the bottle sits upside-down on the faucet, was going to make some "Bottom's Up Grog" labels to put on them. A third has the punt filled with resin so the insert is almost flush with the bottom of the bottle.)

On the plus side, the inserts are a little off center, so the center of gravity does tend to pull them back to keep it closed, but I'm still not so sure this is a good idea. I should probably just pressure up the faucet and see how it works, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before I made a mess.

Pictures to follow.

If it is heavy enough to be bumped and open the faucet, it's too heavy.

Table beer is awesome. Floor beer, not so much.

Looks like they're too heavy. Hmmm... now what to do with them?

Sell em off on craigslist and get your materials cost back? Swap the wind bottles for beer bottles with a cool shape (or some sort of smaller lighter bottle thing from Pier 1) and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Was trying to drill some 7oz bottles, but it got messy, and the drill bit that I have that is suitable for glass is a tiny one that came with a rotary tool set, so getting a large enough hole is a tedious process, especially since you have to submerge in water while drilling for best results.

I threw one on ebay to see how it goes.

I promised pictures, so here you go:
$_12.JPG

Back