My canadian ale mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
So I had a friend over to watch me make brew this past Saturday. We started sampling pretty heavy and by the time I knew it I was way too tipsy.

I'm afraid I took my brew off when my timer went off at 45 mins. Normally I add my hops and yeast fuel for the last 15 mins, but it must have slipped my mind.

This was a real basic kit though, one of the value line from AHB

6 lbs of malt --- just said canadian ale w/ 1% alcohol upgrade
3/4 oz of cascade for 60 mins
1/4 oz of cascade for 15 mins -- this is what I forgot

The brew started well and was fermenting heavily until last night when the temp dropped, it could also be done as well... I'm going to take a reading tonight.

I ended up last night dry hopping the 1/4 oz of cascade to the primary. Do you think this brew will turn out ok? It seemed like a pretty weak recipe to begin with...

Anyone have some input?

The difference between a 15 minute boil and dryhopping with only 1/4 oz will be minor.

Just the news I wanted to hear. I'll be sure to give an update on this.

This will also be my first batch to keg. woohoo

i agree w/ the boys above. not true to the recipe, but will be a nice session ale.

is it sitting in the garage or basement? if the temp dropped quick, it just slowed the yeast down. i'd let it sit a few days and make sure it's done the deed.

Yep it has a little more to go... it was 1.018... just about done in the primary.

We had cold front come through MS and its stayed around 68F in our place. Usually its around 75F - 78F and I was fermenting fully in 2 days.

I keep it indoors in the kitchen. Somehow SWMBO agreed to that and keeping the kegerator in the living room. She's a keeper I tell for sure.

Back