Kegging a La Croix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoWingo

Reaction score
So I picked up a keg and CO2 system recently and, since I don't have any beer ready for kegging right now, I started looking around for something to carbonate. Turns out, my wife is buying orange flavored La Croix by the case and drinks this stuff all day. I can fix that, right? :p

So here's the plan, please let me know if anyone sees any glaringly obvious problems with it. I'm thinking I'll cut up an orange, remove as much of the pith as possible, place the orange meat and rind into a muslin bag suspended in 5 gallons of water in a corny keg. I figure all I need to do after that is get it cold, hit it with some CO2 and shake it up real good, right?

What pressure should I try to carbonate to? It seems to me that La Croix is not really carbonated to Coke type levels. Any guess at a good serving pressure? Will I need to lengthen my 4ft serving line (this keg balancing calculator seems to indicate yes if I'm serving and anything greater than ~9psi)?

What do you guys think?

That sounds like a good plan to me. I've never tried the orange La Croix, but based on the lemon and coconut flavors I've tried, that seems like it would be a good start.

I'd say 30-35psi should do it for a cold keg that you'll be shaking. At that pressure, you will want to lengthen your serving line, or use the epoxy mixers in the dip tube or both.

I use 25-30 psi at 33F for my soda water. We add True Lemon (granulated lemon juice, but they also make lime and orange) to taste at time of dispensing so everyone cam have it they way they like it.

So the La Croix knock off turned out pretty good. I suspended the cut up orange into five gallons of water, chilled the keg, hit it with 22psi, and shook the crap out of it. That should get me to 3.25 volumes of CO2, which I've read should be a good range for a soda. I tasted it after getting home from work this afternoon and it tasted pretty good. Carbonation level seemed just right. It has room for improvement on balancing the orange flavor. The wife suggests boiling the orange zest in water and adding that to the keg next time.

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem dispensing. My cobra/picnic faucet doesn't handle more than about 15psi very well. It just keeps spraying everywhere after I cut it off no matter how much I tighten down the screw cap. I tried dropping my CO2 regulator down to 11psi to serve and it worked very well, but when I came back about an hour later, my soda was rather flat.

So what do you guys do? How do you serve soda? Do I need to replace my faucet? Any recommendations?

I'm having the same problem. I took apart the faucet flapper first to disassemble, then pulled, and stretched the spring, then reassembled flapper last. This improves a little. But I also want to know if there is another faucet available for the corney keg?

Back