Help with motorized valves!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goingmad

Reaction score
I'm completely stuck on this step of my system build, cannot find the right wiring setup! Before asking I've searched all around, but didn't find a direction...

My system is going to be powered by the brewtroller microcontroller, in this way:

brewtroller -> 16 channels spdt relay -> electrical valves/pumps

This relay board has for every channel NO-COM-NC plugs (Normally Open, Common, Normally Closed)

A switch connected to the relay board makes the specific channel to react, I hear the "click" and the led on the relay board switches on. Nothing changes with the valve instead. Whatever I've tried with the valve wirings doesn't make a status change, the valve always sleeps :(

The switch is of the ON1-OFF-ON2 type, having to deal with a AUTO-OFF-MANUAL status for the channel control, being AUTO driven by the brewtroller.

I have two types of electric valves, 2 ways and 3 ways. Both of them are of the CR03 type, since the 3 ways has just two status (input1-outA and input1-outB) and the 2 ways have OPEN or CLOSE status. (valves code: CWX60P and CWX-15Q)

This is my valves schema

cr03.jpg

The wires coming from the valves are three: yellow, red, black.

I've seen some systems around with huge terminal blocks dealing the wirings and the powerage (in my case, brewtroller, relay and valves are all 12V) but I cannot understand how to proceed in order to control my valves...

Can someone guide me towards the right setup?

thanks and cheers! :mug:

gm

PS now you can understand the meaning of my nickname... :D

If I read the wiring diagram correctly, you need 12v DC on both red and yellow to close the valve. Green is your ground/earth/common.

Can you actuate the valve on the bench by applying voltage red to red green to black and touch yellow to red to close and lift yellow to open?

Thanks! A little first success.

This is what I did:

V+ to valve RED
V- to valve BLACK
GROUND to valve YELLOW

The valve keeped alive, moving the internal direction flow from status 1 to status 2 (this test was with the 3 ways valve).

then nothing again... I've tried to detouch first the V+ (nothing) then the V- (after having reconnected the V+ to the RED Valve wire), nothing changes. I'd like to find the way to change the valve status back before proceed with the relay wiring

This is a dual action valve so de-'energizing it will not cause it to change state or return to safe.
It needs to be energized in one cofiguration to actuate to status 1 and in another configuration to actuate to status 2.
Is the wiring diag. You posted for the 3'way valve? I am assuming this valve has only 2'states ( position one and position 2)

Could it be that the switch is drawn incorrectly and it's:

green to 12v- negative/common/gound

12v+ to red for state 1 - (yellow de-energized or open)

12v+ to yellow for close -(red de-energized or open)

Just giving some options.

From the diagram it looks like you need to power the valve like this:

Red wire = Connect to relay (COM) contacts and V+
Yellow wire = connect to relay (NO) contacts
Green wire = V-

For open: / Relay de-energized
RED wire = V + (always powered)
Yellow wire = (no connection to V+ through open relay contacts)
Green wire = V-

For Close: / Relay energized
Red wire = V+ (always powered)
Yellow wire = V+ (now connected to V+ through closed relay contacts)
Green wire = V-
I hope this helps

Both you guys have saved my day! (and the following days as well!)

relay COM and V+ to RED wire Valve
relay NO to YELLOW wire Valve
V- to BLACK wire Valve

Acting from OFF to ON1 on the switch connected to the relay board makes the channel relay working and opening the valve (in this case the 2 ways valve). Moving back the switch from ON1 to OFF closes back the Valve

GREAT!!! I cannot say how happy I am now!!! :D

Great forum, great people!!!

gm

Back