If you visit Indianapolis....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
Take the time to visit Sun King brewery and Flat 12 Bierwerks. Both places had some great selection. Sun King's tasting area is in very close proximity to their production line and had a lively atmosphere. The people waiting on you didn't give you and sort of information about the flavor profile of each beer. They did have a pale ale that was flavored with spruce needles. It was god-awful. A friend described it as putting the evergreen car fresheners into a blender and drinking it. What I really didn't like was that they had 8 beers on tap and you got 4 tickets which allowed you to taste 4 beers. As I type I am enjoying their Osiris Pale Ale. Sun King Brewery

Flat 12 was very laid back and had 16 beers on tap. You could sample every beer and the server guided you through the tasting. Our server gave flavor profiles and, if applicable, any noteable hops that were used. Their Walkabout Pale Ale was hopped with Galaxy hops and really smelled and tasted of passion fruit. It was quite refreshing, but I couldn't see myself having more than one. My favorite was their tangerine robust porter. Hints of molasses and coffee up front and then it finished with citrus and spice (from the tangerine & coriander addition). Flat 12 Bierwerks

Both places are worth checking out if you are in the area. As a bonus they're only 2 or 3 blocks from each other.

Those are both very good. Indy and the surrounding areas are exploding with craft breweries within the last few years. We even have one in the little town I live in that is down right amazing. There is another in Greenwood which is a suburb of Indy called Oaken Barrel. It's a brew pub/restaurant that has some outstanding concoctions on tap.

I'm going to be in INDY next weekend with the in-laws. I'll have to drag FIL to at least one of these, I doubt he will fight too hard.

I'm outing myself, but I don't like Sun King all that much.

I would recommend New Day Meadery in the Fountain Square neighborhood. It's a very laid back vibe and the owners are amazing.

Bier Brewery makes good beer, but their hours are crazy and they are usually so busy I don't bother.

Or you could come by Guion House Brewery. We have a fine selection of ales here right now.

Back