Oversized Sanke Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_pwb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a new all electric brew rig, which is almost complete! :mug:

I originally was going to use a cooler as a mlt, but after playing with it, have decided with my setup (RIMS) it is going to be too much of a PITA vs a converted keg. I posted a want ad on my local online classifieds, and I have a guy claiming to have a 86.3L keg, marked originally from Labatt breweries.

I googled it but came up with no answers, has anyone ever seen an 86.3L or ~22.5 gallon sanke keg before?

The only kegs larger than1/2 bbl I've ever seen were 18 imperial gal, (81.83 L). Never seen or heard of a keg the size you're describing. Since it's an odd number of liters, I would think it would have to be based on either a standard gallon or imperial gallon system, and that volume doesn't match even the more obscure sizes in those systems. My guess is that it's a typo or some similar error, but who knows.

it's possible that it's real. at one time, a full us keg was 31 gallons, the common 15.5 gallon keg is actually a 1/2 barrel.

those big kegs were done away with because they are too hard to transport, and wouldn't last as long due to excessive denting during rough handling, especially if they were made from aluminum...

Back