Where to visit in Charlston SC.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
I'll be in the Charlston area for a few days the week before Easter.

Any info on the area or places I shouldn't miss.

Wife only wants to shop and hit the beach.

I'm more interested in the historical area's and the brewing scene.:D
Thanks

Bull

I'm in Charleston - it's a great place to visit !!

Downtown, I like to have a beer in the beer garden at the Blind Tiger, it's near East bay and Broad, on Broad ... That area is the main restaurant district, so if you're looking for some good eats, you'll find yourself there ... Our faves are Blossom, Magnolias and High Cotton and for cheap great Italian Bocci's is nearby if you can find it ! Also, there's a wine bar called Social right there too that has a decent beer menu and a good atmosphere .. If you're looking for super fancy southern beer and wine check out McCrady's it's a really cool atmosphere .. With as much high quality food as we have within beautiful walking distance, it's really common to go to one restaurant for drinks/appetizer, another for dinner, and a third for a nightcap and dessert - it'll knock the socks off your wife / gf. And it's really fun to walk around !!! Hire a pedicab after dinner to take you around the neighborhoods "south of broad" for the ultimate night out - it costs around $20-30 and is a great way to see the old houses in the dark !

That's about it, make sure to have a Palmetto beer, and if your wife is shopping on upper king, it's only a few blocks to the brewery and Ed will give you a few beers and show you around .. The bottler is awesome !!

We also have a local brewer called Coast, and there Hop Art IPA will settle you right down at 7.2% .. It's one I enjoy ONE of :)

Let me know how it works out !

Also FWIW Folly is the best beach around, super laid-back and the folly beach brewing company is awesome... Isle of palms and sullivans island (and kiawah) are way too stuck up for my liking !!

Thanks,
I'm all about the laid back area's. Usually when I take my shirt off, everything is deserted anyways!

joeybeer, if your around and willing, how about grabbing a beer with me and my wife?

We'll be in from Monday thru Thursday and we're staying in Hanahan.

Bull

The Beer Exchange is awesome for take-out and growler fills. For bars, my favorites are Gene's in West Ashley and the Tattooed Moose in the upper part of downtown. The Moose isn't neccessarily a beer destination, but they have the best sandwich I've ever had - the duck club. Oh, and since you're staying in Hanahan, check out The Mill in North Charleston. Usually a good band and never a cover. And a not-bad beer selection for a dive bar.

Also, check out the Westbrook Brewery. It's brand new and a bit out of the way, but I like what these guys have to offer.

I've never been to the tattooed moose ! I'll have to check it out - I love duck !!
We should meet there next week Bull - just send me a message when you know what day you'll be downtown !

Don't forgot "Closed for Business" on upper king. Tons of great beer on tap, plus they make a great french fry+bacon+gravy dish.

Rue de jean isn't really known for its beers...but man they make a great hamburger, especially for a french joint.

I second the Charleston Beer Exchange- really great place to find interesting beer. Careful about the Charleston Beer Works- that's a totally different place and although they have a whole lot of beer on tap it is really a sports/undergrad bar with terrible food.

Enjoy Charleston!

Since no one has mentioned it yet: Smokey Oak has perhaps the best selection of beers on tap anywhere in Charleston, with a total selection (including bottles) that even outdoes the Folly Beach Brewing Company. I do really like the FBBC too, but Smokey Oak has really stepped up their game since they opened AND you can get some awesome food while you're there.

Smokey Oak is located on James Island, so if you're heading out to Folly Beach, be sure to stop in.

The Beer Exchange was rated the #2 bottle shop in the world by ratebeer.com, by the way. They're very awesome.

Well, we're leaving tonight and will be in Monday early.
I'm definitely interested in some of the downtown spots and the Folly Beach Brewing Co.
Does anyone have a link to their website?
Bull

The Charleston Beer exchange is a must. SInce you will be in on Monday you can go by for Rare Beer Tuesday. They are on face book.

To get out of the King Street traffic during the day, duck into to Mellow Mushroom and go upstairs for a good draft craft beer.

Since you will have a car you can tour the craft beer brewers here. Coast Brewery and Westbrook Brewery (New). I don't think Palmetto has a tour. Their beers are way overated. Their Palmett Stout is good.

If you do venture over here to Sullivans stop in at Poe's for a good draft beer and the starving artist hamburger or jump into Art's on Coleman for a beer and blue cheese hamburger.

Just ingnore all the crap about Folley and Sullivans and IOP personality stuff the Folley crowd loves to spew. Every beach has its positives and negatives. We are just very lucky to live in such a great place.

I see you are coming from Ohio you may want to visit this site to understand the references Ohioans get here.

www.movebacktoohio.com

Just remember to keep your Ohio State tshirts at home ;)

Wild Wing Cafe on Market Street downtown has great wings and live music most nights.

Right down the street from that, your wife will love the Charleston City Market, also on Market Street. It is a giant open air market that spans about 4 blocks and has hundreds of vendors selling tons of unique items.

Just ingnore all the crap about Folley and Sullivans and IOP personality stuff the Folley crowd loves to spew.

Hahahahaha you should definitely visit all of our beaches, especially Folly - it's closer to downtown and WAY better than the other two lame-o "dry" beaches..

Went to IOP today and stopped in Windjammer. Nice to have a bar right off the beach, but no selection at all. I had a few SNPA's. I asked the bar keep for a glass and his remark was " It's in a glass!" Nevermind!

I passed the new Westbrook brewery on the way. Can I just stop in or do I have to schedule an appiontment?

I called the only # I could find for the Folly beach brewing co. 843-588-0095 no answer all day. I think I'm going there tomorrow.

I brought a random 12 of homebrew for sampling if anyone wants to hook up later. PM me. I'm going to my sons Baseball game @ 7:30 and should be bach in Hanahan around 10pm.

I'm still a little tired as I'm going on about 3 hours of sleep in the last 48 so it won't be a late one. Later in the week may work out better.

Bull

We stopped in the Mellow Mushroom on Rt 17 after the game last night. I sampled a handfull of different beers and finaly settled on the Toasted Coconut Porter. Tasty!

The bar keep was great and after discussing different beers for a while, gave me an empty growler for free to take back home! I had it filled with the Ported and gave him a nice tip!

He also recommended Exchange street and he mentioned a place on East Bay that has a Crab and fried green tomato sandwich that is out of this world. Something Cotton? Help please.

It snowed at home yesterday. I don't miss it.

The little fleas here suck! WTF!! Thank God for Off!

Bull

I enjoy upper-King St. it's downtown too. There are some really cool places. Rue DeJohn, Closed for Business, Chai and Basil. It's a more mature crowd then you'd get at the bars near market at least in the evening. There's a hookah bar in the area too, but I forget the name. I second Westbrook's beer and Coast. Coast has a great Kolsch. Smokey Oak is the heat. Good beers and their pulled pork stuffed potato is great. Charleston is one of the coolest place I've ever lived. I love it here.

is papa zuzu's still open? charleston is great fun. i'm planning on coming down there soon too. just walk around downtown. the place is filled with sweet historical stuff, and good places to eat and drink.

oh and if your going on a weekend, i think Feul does 10 dollar bottomless mimosas (gay i know, but getting drunk in the morning for 10 bucks is awsome)

I live here in Charleston and it has so many great places. Some places downtown are tourist traps so be careful. Look for places off the beaten path and you will find the goods

Well the plan for today is to hit Tanger outlets for a couple of hours and then head downtown to the market steet area.

Shop, lunch @ the cotton place and tool around.

Game tonight @ 5pm

Then tastings @the hotel in Hanahan!:D

Bull

We stopped in the Mellow Mushroom on Rt 17 after the game last night. I sampled a handfull of different beers and finaly settled on the Toasted Coconut Porter. Tasty!

The bar keep was great and after discussing different beers for a while, gave me an empty growler for free to take back home! I had it filled with the Ported and gave him a nice tip!

He also recommended Exchange street and he mentioned a place on East Bay that has a Crab and fried green tomato sandwich that is out of this world. Something Cotton? Help please.

It snowed at home yesterday. I don't miss it.

The little fleas here suck! WTF!! Thank God for Off!

Bull

It's High Cotton. The food is excellent but bring your WALLET. After High Cotton you are only 3-4 blocks from Exchange street and Charleston Beer Exchange. It is well worth the walk. Just walk towards the Battery Exchange street will be on the left.

You have great weather for your trip. A little cooler than normal.

The fleas are calle "no see ums" They are a pain. Especially when you walk through a new hatch of them. Try to stay in the wind. No see ums have a hard time flying in 5mph or greater wind.

is papa zuzu's still open? charleston is great fun. i'm planning on coming down there soon too. just walk around downtown. the place is filled with sweet historical stuff, and good places to eat and drink.

Papa Zusu's has moved out of downtown. There are a number of rest. that have moved to Mt. P. Papa Zusu's is on Colemand Blvd now. Also, a new craft beer place has opened up across the street. Haven't made it in there yet.

When it gets closer to your visit. PM me if needed.

Papa Zusu's has moved out of downtown. There are a number of rest. that have moved to Mt. P. Papa Zusu's is on Colemand Blvd now. Also, a new craft beer place has opened up across the street. Haven't made it in there yet.

When it gets closer to your visit. PM me if needed.

sweet! thanks man

Folly beach yesterday and a stop in the FBBC.

Going back downtown today and plan on stopping at the Beer Exchange for a late lunch around 2.

Downtown is great. Lots to do and see!

Bull

Charleston is a wonderful city, I LOVE it! An interesting thing to do if you like history is to take a historical walking tour. They have tours based on the American Rebellion, the Civil War, pirate history, and ghosts and they can be very good!

I like to just park and walk the streets of downtown. The whole city is full of history. :)

Back