Mash Unmalted Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camus

Reaction score
I have read various opinions and methods for mashing unmalted wheat, from protein rests to cereal mash etc.

Recipe calls for:

6 lbs Pale Malt
2 lbs Unmalted Wheat
1.75 lbs malted

Given the amount of base malt can I just do single infusion mash?
I thought about just punting the unmalted altogether and using flaked wheat, thoughts?

Thanks.

You have plenty of diastatic power there to convert 2lbs unmalted wheat in a single infusion mash.

Thanks.

Still trying to figure how plug this into software, haven't found much info on Rahr unmalted wheat.

I've also wondered about this and I've found some sources claiming that unmalted wheat will yield 1.038 gravity points/lb. grain when mashing with a highly modified malt though after having tried it I'm skeptical that raw wheat will yield that much sugar without at least a lengthy mash (2 hours+). Have you ever tried cooking raw wheat on the stovetop? Last time I tried it, it took me like 3 hours for the grains to geletanise though this was with hard winter wheat ( not sure about the spring wheat or other varieties). The stuff is hard. Next time I use unmalted wheat I'm using a pressure cooker with some 2 or 6-row to really cook it down.

Nope, haven't tried cooking it. Would that be a cereal mash?

I am going to try this tomorrow, just mashing it all at 152 and will let you know how it goes.

"Nope, haven't tried cooking it. Would that be a cereal mash?"

Exactly. If you're using flaked wheat you'll be ok with an infusion mash. If not you'd be well advised to use a protein rest and mash for a longer period of time. Again from my experience, using raw hard wheat berries, you will get minimum sugar extraction from raw wheat. Perhaps someone can comment but for my part I recommend the cereal mash.

Thanks redalert, that is answer I was looking for and the one I wasn't hoping for. :)
I will kick it around and either try a cereal mash or pick up some flaked wheat on my way home tomorrow.:mug:

I have got to figure out how might do a protein rest with my set up. <- And a cereal mash for that matter.

Thanks redalert, that is answer I was looking for and the one I wasn't hoping for. :)
I will kick it around and either try a cereal mash or pick up some flaked wheat on my way home tomorrow.:mug:

I have got to figure out how might do a protein rest with my set up. <- And a cereal mash for that matter.

Glad to be of service. Good luck with your brew. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Wheat will gelatinize at normal mash temps making the starches available to the enzymes. It happens much quicker however if you boil it (cereal mash). I do a cereal mash on my wit that turns out quite good ... although its probably not necessary.

yeah, look into lambic brewing for more. I was going to post a similar question over in the lambic and wild brewing group so check that out as there are guys with good experience who frequent that group.

I wasted some time this morning reading up on this. It seems that a protein rest really is that big of a concern for this recipe as it is a wheat. Some recommend a BG rest rather to help with lautering. Given the unmalted wheat is only about 20% of the grain bill (Palmer >25% for a protein rest) I will probably just try the single infusion mash, I might go 90 minutes rather than 60. The last concern is losing efficiency, I got pretty of DME so I will see what I get out of it.

Briefly thought about doing a step mash with a BG rest just try the process but I think I will be introducing to many variables at once. So I will just try this as planned and see how it works.

I used some torrified wheat (which is unmalted) in a recent IIPA. I did run it through the crusher, but I didn't bother to do a cereal mash or anything. Just single infusion. It was 5% torrified wheat for a 1.091 beer.

Ok, so what kind of Jack@$$ would take the time to post a question about mashing raw wheat, read the all the great advice / ideas on how to pursue it, then promptly ignore it?

Camus raises hand.

Well I ended up about .008 points short pre-boil given the volume, exactly what would occur if I wouldn't have added the unmalted wheat at all. Made up the difference with DME.

Thanks all, at least I have unequivocally determined how not to do it. :)

Ok, so what kind of Jack@$$ would take the time to post a question about mashing raw wheat, read the all the great advice / ideas on how to pursue it, then promptly ignore it?

Camus raises hand.

Well I ended up about .008 points short pre-boil given the volume, exactly what would occur if I wouldn't have added the unmalted wheat at all. Made up the difference with DME.

Thanks all, at least I have unequivocally determined how not to do it. :)

See I made the same stupid mistake when I brewed using unmalted wheat. You get very little if any conversion unless you geletanise (basically cook) the raw wheat. Torrified Wheat may be unmalted wheat but it's cooked then dried which is why you can just throw it in the mash. Live and learn. Sometimes I come on these forums also. I ask a question and get a response but I do the opposite. There's no knowledge like first-hand knowledge.

Thread Necro here, but since I want to make this correct, (I am annoyed when there is unaccurate information just sitting there), the gelatinization temp for wheat is 136-147 deg F.

Apparently you didn't mash warmer than that or you have another issue. You do NOT have to do a cereal mash with wheat.

Old thread just got bumped...but I'll add a comment for those in similar situation. Why not just do the step mash? You can do a step mash with just the raw wheat on the stove in your kitchen, then add with other grain for the single infusion.

There is a good reason for protein rest(s) in this case.

Yes with raw wheat a step mash may be beneficial for the ferulic acid rest but even then it is a toss up. Protein rest is a good one at 122 with the raw adjunct grain.

My whole reason for bumping this was because it was mentioned that the wort was low on gravity due to no cereal mash which is incorrect and I didn't want others to take that bit of info away from this thread.

Thread Necro here, but since I want to make this correct, (I am annoyed when there is unaccurate information just sitting there), the gelatinization temp for wheat is 136-147 deg F.

Apparently you didn't mash warmer than that or you have another issue. You do NOT have to do a cereal mash with wheat.

OP hear, I mashed at 152, at 30 minutes it was down to 149.7, I added water to get it back up to 151.5. That was the extent of my notes.

That was one of three ventures into my wheat trials. Comments welcome but I will stick to torrified wheat if I try it again.

Back