Can i swap out my beer lines mid keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italynstallyn44

Reaction score
I'm currently using the 5 ft. beer lines that came with the kit. I've been experiencing a lot of foam when i pour. I've read a bit about a balanced system and went and got some 10ft. lengths of beer line at LHBS today. I have a two keg system and I am maybe half way done each of the kegs. Can/Should I swap out the beer lines now or wait until the kegs kick? If I can do it now, is there a good method for doing it without wasting beer?

I'm planning on doing the same thing and hadn't thought of any reason as to why I couldn't change the lines mid-keg. I did build my own beer line cleaner per

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

so that I could push some sanitizer through the new lines before hooking them up.

I think the most beer you stand to lose is anything that's currently trapped in the line.

It won't matter if you change the lines mid keg. The easiest way to sanitize the new lines is to put some sanitizer in another keg if you have one, hook it up to the co2 and push it through your taps. You could soak them in starsan before you hook them up, but there will still be a chance that some nasties might break free when attaching them.

My question is kind of related. I accidentally got a pin lock set up not knowing they are wider than ball locks and two won't fit in my fridge side by side but I think 1 pin lock and one ball lock will fit. Thing is I am only using 1 tap and line for both kegs. What's the easiest way to use the one line for both kegs even though they are different kegs? I want to be able to just unhook it from one and quickly attach to the other.

The easiest method I can think of would be to use ball lock and a pin lock disconnects with MFL screw on quick disconnects. That would allow you to pop off the liquid out disconnect from the current keg, remove it from the line and change over to the other disconnect for the second keg. Your local homebrew store can help, or call Todd at Kegconnection.com for them. He's a great guy to work with and His prices are hard to beat.

-Richard

Just be sure to take the pressure off if you aren't changing the disconnects, just the lines on them.

Back