Is This Ruined??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Well, I have read about it, but this was a first to me. The fermentation has been so active in my Hefe that it blew the lid right off the fermenter. It was off for about an hour before I realized what I heard was the lid blowing off. Will the air that contacted it ruin it, or should I be ok? I put a blow off tube on it, and it is still as active as could be. Its filled close to a gallon in less then 30 mins at this point. Just hoping that its not ruined.

Cool, thanks Orfy, and Rich. Is the 3068 known for such active fementations? It was a real active starter so I should of known this was coming, from now on I think I will use blow off tubes in 1/4 gal of water to be safe.

Wheat beers in general have big, foamy fermentations, no matter what the yeast you use. It's all the extra protein in the wheat, I believe. Next time get a blow off tube, and you'll be golden.

Back