I don't think my wort is fermenting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahareid

Reaction score
I've had it in the fermenter for three days now, and haven't seen a single bubble in the airlock. I've peaked in a few times and it always looks the same - doesn't appear to be much activity. Should I repitch some yeast? Am I overworrying and it actually IS fermenting? Any help would be great guys!

Thanks

Edit: Also, you should know that my seal does seem to be quite tight and the airlock is securely fastened

If you have a hydrometer, and took an initial reading, you could always do a reading now. If the number has moved, fermentation has begun. If the number is the same, fermentation has yet to begin. If the number is 68.4, you grabbed the thermometer instead. :)

and if you don't have a hydrometer, you won't hurt anything by just pitching more yeast. it's dirt cheap.

If you have a hydrometer, and took an initial reading, you could always do a reading now. If the number has moved, fermentation has begun. If the number is the same, fermentation has yet to begin. If the number is 68.4, you grabbed the thermometer instead. :)

+1, check the gravity to know for sure. In the meantime, how much did you pitch, did you aerate, what temp did you pitch at and are fermenting at, and what was the starting gravity?

I've had it in the fermenter for three days now, and haven't seen a single bubble in the airlock. I've peaked in a few times and it always looks the same - doesn't appear to be much activity. Should I repitch some yeast? Am I overworrying and it actually IS fermenting? Any help would be great guys!

Thanks

Edit: Also, you should know that my seal does seem to be quite tight and the airlock is securely fastened

Airlocks, as others will tell you, are not really reliable as an indicator of your beer not fermenting. When you peeked at the beer, did you see a krausen ring. If so, you're fermenting. If not, better take a hydro reading to be safe.

Thanks for all the answers guys! I'll do a hydro check here shortly. And Hugh_Jass, there is definitely a krausen ring, so maybe I should better follow the RDWHAHB motto a little better. It's my first brew and I'm definitely getting a little paranoid about every little thing!

If you have krausen, you're good. What temperature is your wort? I've had a few batches start slow and then as soon as I consider action, the beer goes into overdrive. I like the relax and wait method.

Thanks for all the answers guys! I'll do a hydro check here shortly. And Hugh_Jass, there is definitely a krausen ring, so maybe I should better follow the RDWHAHB motto a little better. It's my first brew and I'm definitely getting a little paranoid about every little thing!

If there's a krausen ring, there's no need to check the gravity. It's fermenting. Leave it be for a few weeks. Each time you open your lid, you risk infection. After a few weeks, the yeast will have digested the sugar. That's the time to check the gravity reading, rack to bottling bucket, prime, and bottle.

If you're intent on doing something beer related, brew another batch but for Gawd's sakes man, leave the yeast in the current batch alone. They're in charge now.

Oh, and welcome to the obsession.:tank:

Now that you know that is fermentation; what are the rest of your plans? Are you using a secondary? How long are you going to leave it in the primary. Not busting stones; since this is your first, a good plan goes a long way with patience

Now that you know that is fermentation; what are the rest of your plans? Are you using a secondary? How long are you going to leave it in the primary. Not busting stones; since this is your first, a good plan goes a long way with patience
It's been in my primary since Tuesday evening. I haven't been planning on secondary fermentation, but maybe I should? I was going to let it ferment in the primary for about a week and a half, then prime and bottle and let age for the recommended three. At least that's the plan for now!

Edit: Also, to answer earlier questions, when I pitched my yeast the wort was a little warm...it's fermenting in a nice, average (68-70) room now though, and has definitely cooled down. I don't know what pitching it in warmer temperatures means for me or my beer, but hopefully nothing TOO bad! It must've been in the low to mid-80's, I'd say.

I would consider 3 weeks primary at least then bottle condition. Search around the site that are 1,000's of really good suggestions - this is simply one to try out.
As far as pitching at too high of a temp. You may get some after taste, but being your first beer I wouldn't let it bother me. Next time, wait until it cools. In the end, it is still the best beer you ever had

I would consider 3 weeks primary at least then bottle condition. Search around the site that are 1,000's of really good suggestions - this is simply one to try out.
As far as pitching at too high of a temp. You may get some after taste, but being your first beer I wouldn't let it bother me. Next time, wait until it cools. In the end, it is still the best beer you ever had
Thanks for such great reassurance! and thanks everybody for the suggestions and advice. This place is great :mug:

Unless you're OG was below 1.05, give it 3 weeks in primary and theres no need to secondary unless you're adding fruit or aging >1month. Pitching in the 80s could explain why you didnt see any bubbling because it may have just finished that quickly. You may have some extra esters in there depending on what yeast you used. Also, keep in mind that during active fermentation the wort will be 5-10F warmer than ambient temperature

I always secondary for clearing. I'll do about 2 weeks in primary and then rack to secondary glass carboy for 2 weeks of clearing. I don't find it a hassle at all to rack which I why I do it. Seriously amazingly clear beers and very little sediment, though others will say leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks. Your call, experiment and do what works for you.

Back