Styrofoam cup material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depend on what you are trying to do. I've seen several pictures where people have cut foam sheeting and bonded it with spray cans of urethane to make mashing & fermentation cabinets.

If your mash tun is rectangular or square, you can use the styrofoam sheets from a hardware store (in the insulation aisles). If it is a round one (cooler or converted keg) you would be better off getting something called ArmorCoat. Its an extruded rubber insulation product that is flexible and will form around curves better. Not sure if Home Depot carries it, I normally get it from my neighbor (he's an insulator)

I doubt that would be effective. I have accidentally gotten it too hot while sweating copper joints and all it did was melt into a really hard goo. If you can't find the Armor Coat, you may be better off getting the fully encapsulated fiberglas insulation and just taping the hell out of the outside so it doesn't accidentally tear.

Back