Java Stout Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMac

Reaction score
I bottled my Java Stout and let it sit for 2 weeks to carbonate. The temperature of the house has been upper 70's and usually carbonates the beer in that amount of time. I tested one on the 15th day and it had a dull "Pst" to it when the bottle was opened. I gave it some more time and on the 17th day I tried another and got about the same amount of hiss.

I took a box of the beer out into the garage where it's warmer and let them sit there for 3 days and hoped that the warmer temperature would increase the carbonation a little bit more. I just popped one open and the improvements were minimal. Any Suggestions?

Wait the appropriate amount of time :) The general advice is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. I now believe this number came about because on average 3 weeks is about right. That means plenty of beers are ready sooner, and plenty later. Stouts in my experience take a bit longer to carb up.

I would give it a month minimum, two if you can. It should improve over time.

How much corn sugar did you use? Is it possible that you didn't use enough to reach the carbonation that you wanted?

I've had several stouts that took longer than 3 weeks to carb. I had a chocolate stout that for whatever reason took 3 months to carbonate. The beer was great it just was doing its thing on its own timetable.

i have a chocolate stout that seemed over carbed and too sweet after 1 week, but after a few more weeks the carbonation mellowed out and the overly strong sweetness went away.

i used 3/4 cup priming sugar for a 5 gal batch.

Back