noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordbeermestrength

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a semi-experienced beer brewer, but have no experience other than my limited readings when it comes to cider. So that is my pre-amble on why this question may be so dumb.

If you wanted to raise the OG on your cider, why not boil it down prior to pitching? I see most people will add sugar, which is another option, but why not boil?

Thanks!

If you boil, you will set the pectins (think apple jelly). That's why you should never boil juice/fruit if you're planning on using it to make wine or cider. I also use pectic enzyme, which helps break up the walls of the fruit better.

Most people will tell you to never boil your cider. I have done it and been quite happy with the results. I add pectic enzyme prior to heating to help with the pectins. I gently simmer the cider, rather than a rolling boil. Further reduction creates an apple syrup. It has an intense apple flavor and can be used like maple syrup.

The simmering will darken the cider and does change the flavor a bit. More like a caramel apple. It may just be me, but my cider reductions have ended sweeter than a typical cider. If you want a more traditional, dry, crisp cider, I'd go with white sugar. It ferments fully and adds little taste. As you would expect, darker sugars will add more flavor than white sugar.

Pectin, yes I should have known that. But wouldn't it eventually all fall out after fermenting anyway? I mean since we don't need to filter pre-fermentation, a thicker juice wouldn't hurt anything, right? Probably other than making your cider cloudy instead of clear, I am guessing.

I want to do a cider (have never done one) but I want to end up with a sweeter product, and highly alcoholic. I know sugar will get the high abvs, but will also dry it out considerably. Sounds like simmering it down will accomplish both goals, possibly while adding some caramel complexity as well?

...I gently simmer the cider, rather than a rolling boil. Further reduction creates an apple syrup. It has an intense apple flavor and can be used like maple syrup.

The simmering will darken the cider and does change the flavor a bit. More like a caramel apple. It may just be me, but my cider reductions have ended sweeter than a typical cider. If you want a more traditional, dry, crisp cider, I'd go with white sugar. It ferments fully and adds little taste. As you would expect, darker sugars will add more flavor than white sugar.
I don't boil, but I have warmed a 1/2 gal to aid in dissolving 7 lbs of table sugar in one batch.

I've made ciders with dark brown sugar as well as table sugar. Both have turned out great.

The dark sugar adds a "mapley" flavor while white table sugar makes it really sweet. :D

Back