The Fermento-lager-taporator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope:D

I t will probably be a long time before I get to this one. I just finished a stand alone fermentation chamber and all my brewing funds are going to my rig build. This one is probably 2 years out yet. I just posted it here now for general interest.

It is generally interesting. I am with you on the time frame... seems like I have projects scheduled further out than I care to think about!

Thanks for posting the ideas.

Nope:D

I t will probably be a long time before I get to this one. I just finished a stand alone fermentation chamber and all my brewing funds are going to my rig build. This one is probably 2 years out yet. I just posted it here now for general interest.

Hey BK. Nice take on my design! I really like the looks of the panelling. I have a few comments/concerns that I figured I would voice.

1) Glass looks great - but you will have issues with heat transfer - unless you can get some double pane stuff. Glass transfers heat well - air does not - so as long as you have double panes you will be fine.

2) I would be concerned about skunking. Maybe you could put some opaque window shades on the inside - and just roll them up when you are having a party or something.

3) The chest freezers put out a LOT of heat - and they put it out on all sides. I imagine the LP lines run on the outside of the insulation (next to the outside skin), and the HP lines run on the inside. Just leaving the back open is not enough. You will have to figure out a way to circulate air around the entire thing. I had originally intended on panelling mine, but was cautioned against it by a friend. I am glad I took his advice.

Damprid works very well for condensation issues. Good luck with the build, and feel free to ask me any questions as they arise.

Mylo

Thanks Mylo! You idea was a great inspiration.

To answer your concerns:

1. I agree, I will be salvaging some doors from a wine fridge. They are double paned and designed to have good heat exchange properties (Low heat exchange).

Also, as I talked about above, if you have glass doors you will not be opening them all the time to check on how your brew is doing. While glass may exchange heat better, opening a fridge door even once or twice more, nearly negates the difference.

2. This is pretty easy to deal with. The doors on most wine fridges have a UV coating that blocks 99.9% of all UV light. This will also be in a room without direct sunlight. If you are building this without salvaged doors, or with doors with no coating, you can buy it at any big box store for cheap. No skunking!

3. I found a chest freezer that has external LP coils. The heat is not in the walls it is only in the back. That is why this design works for me.

Thanks! :mug:

Was searching around and stumbled on this thread - what a cool idea. I will be implementing some of these ideas into my garage re-build this winter. Thank you!

You could go with thick acrylic for the windows and that might help with keeping the temperature where you want it.

This is great, Im looking into options for using keezer to power a fementation chamber and something like this (probably not nearly as elegant or nice) would take up the least floorspace in the brewroom. Only difference is I think Im going to put the taps through a wall into the gameroom where a future bar is going to go.

Any updates?

Back