Aeration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I will be starting my fourth batch tomorrow and was just thinking about something. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but when you are aerating your wort in the primary after pitching the yeast should you keep the lid at least covering the bucket or does it matter at all? I mean on one hand, keeping the lid would help keep some of the nasties out but leaving it uncovered would maybe help oxygen get to the wort a little better.

despite all the talk about contamination and sanitizing, its not THAT easy to infect beer.
it does happen, but as you progress through your brewing career, you'll find that just because you take risks doesn't mean you'll get burned. you might...you might not.

you should be aerating in a fairly clean environment, not outside next to a pile of manure. If you're using an aquarium pump, I'd leave the lid loosely on top since you're probably running it 10-15 minutes.
but if you have pure O2, don't mess with covering it. you're only running it for maybe 60 seconds. too short to worry about.

Back