Not Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew355

Reaction score
Second brew in a row that did not carbonate. I can't figure out what the hell is going wrong, because i brew each beer the same exact way. I think it tastes right, as far a flat beer goes. Can this be a sanatation issue or what???????

What is your priming sugar/keg carbonation level at? Maybe you didn't add enough priming sugar, don't have enough yeast left, set the regulator pressure too low, etc. I don't think, from what you stated, that it is a sanitation issue. You would probably be experiencing either bombs or off-tastes. Post more specifics and we can help you better.

avidhomebrewer said:
What is your priming sugar/keg carbonation level at? Maybe you didn't add enough priming sugar, don't have enough yeast left, set the regulator pressure too low, etc. I don't think, from what you stated, that it is a sanitation issue. You would probably be experiencing either bombs or off-tastes. Post more specifics and we can help you better.
Also, how long did you wait for it to carb up? Are all the bottles without carbonation? Sounds like you aren't using enough priming sugar (assuming you are bottling).

If the carbonation was merely inconsistent, it might be that you aren't mixing in the priming sugar well enough, or you have some problems with your capping.

FlyGuy said:
Also, how long did you wait for it to carb up? Are all the bottles without carbonation? Sounds like you aren't using enough priming sugar (assuming you are bottling).

If the carbonation was merely inconsistent, it might be that you aren't mixing in the priming sugar well enough, or you have some problems with your capping.

I'm sweating bullets over a recent batch as well -- I used CarbTabs in it and, a week later, they are (a) not carbing up, and (b) developing little waxy floaters that are clearly undissolved chunks of CarbTab.

I'm also wondering if Irish moss is a good thing. Maybe it's making stuff flocculate too aggressively and leaving no yeast in the bottles? I dunno, but I don't like it! The last batch I bottled, I swished the last little bit of wort around in the carboy to make sure I got some yeast into it, and primed with corn see-rup! From 1.011 to 1.020. I think that one will carb up, dammit!

--Finn

Finn said:
I'm sweating bullets over a recent batch as well -- I used CarbTabs in it and, a week later, they are (a) not carbing up, and (b) developing little waxy floaters that are clearly undissolved chunks of CarbTab.
You need to wait three weeks, not one week. Just not enough time.

Give those bottles a gentle swirl - that might speed it up a bit.

FlyGuy said:
You need to wait three weeks, not one week. Just not enough time.

Give those bottles a gentle swirl - that might speed it up a bit.

Aha! OK, that makes sense now that I think about it. My ciders carbed up like the place was on fire, but they were made with champagne yeast, primed to 1.040 and pasteurized at about 1.030 to keep 'em sweet. A mostly-attenuated bev'ridge would, of course, behave differently ...

The last brew i did was an extract kit and i used the priming sugar in the kit. Don't remember the exact amount, but i remember checking that it was the correct amount as listed in the kit instructions. From their i followed the boiling procedure for the corn sugar, and then poured it in the bottling bucket as stated. Then the beer was transfered from the secondary fermenter to the bottling bucket, then bottled.

I have noticed that in the last two brews, that the yeast hasn't been as active based upon the amount of head in the primary ferm. The first unsuccessful brew occured when i had a guest brewer over, and when sanitizing he did use dish soap on the primary. I cleaned this out to where i thought it was okay. I have heard that this will linger around and cause head problems. Not sure if i just need to get this cleaned out better or what?

Another question: what temperature do you store your bottles at after filling them? It should be room temperature for a week or two, then you can chill them.

Unrinsed soaps can definitely be a head-killer, but that shouldn't affect your yeast or carbonation. Having too little carbonation will also result in little to no head. I suggest getting the carbonation thing figured out first, then see how your head formation is going.

Bottles are stored in my kitchen. I generally keep the place at 65 degrees. The brew before last, i waited about five weeks just because, and nothing happened what so ever. It was pretty much the same as it was when it came out of the secondary. I have no idea what the problem is. Soap wouldn't stop carbonation?

brew355 said:
Bottles are stored in my kitchen. I generally keep the place at 65 degrees. The brew before last, i waited about five weeks just because, and nothing happened what so ever. It was pretty much the same as it was when it came out of the secondary. I have no idea what the problem is. Soap wouldn't stop carbonation?

I had the same issue with my first brew, a PM cream stout. It did not carb after having been in the bottle for more than 3 weeks at room temp.

I took someone's suggestion to warm the bottles up a bit and to agitate them to resuspend the yeast. So if you've got a laundry room where you could leave your beer, do a couple of loads of laundry to heat up the area, and agitate the bottles once a day for a week.

My beer carbed quickly after I started doing that. If you don't have a warm laundry room you can use, maybe try a warm (NOT HOT) water bath.

Sounds like a good idea. I will give it shot and see what happens. Beats dumping all of it.

brew355 said:
Sounds like a good idea. I will give it shot and see what happens. Beats dumping all of it.

NEVER dump unless it is obviously gross or something went horribly wrong! Even if you try this and it STILL does not carb, you can still try other methods. Before I moved mine to the laundry room, I tried an experiment. I uncapped 2 beers, and into one I put more yeast, into the other I put more sugar. Then I recapped them, and put those two, plus one plain beer into a warm area. That way, if one carbs and the others don't, you know if it was because you needed more yeast, more sugar, or just higher temps and to resuspend your yeast.

Good luck warming them up. I hope they carb for you. :mug:

Just heated the bottles up in some water. Wasn't to sure as to how much to heat them. I just go the water to the point where it was hot to the touch, which is as hot as it gets, and let them sit for about five or so minutes. Is that good enough?

If this doesn't do the trick, what should my next course of action be????

Just set them aside and give it more time. I've had beers that had very little carbonation after 4-5 weeks but 3 months later were perfectly carbed and crystal clear. Get another brew started and forget about this one for awhile.

I used the priming tabs in two brews before and no matter what i tried (i shoke, spun, and rolled the bottles, switched rooms) the tabs never fully dissolved...so i had little white waxy floaters to pick out of my beer and the carbonation was very low. I don't think i will use priming tabs every again.

brew355 said:
Just heated the bottles up in some water. Wasn't to sure as to how much to heat them. I just go the water to the point where it was hot to the touch, which is as hot as it gets, and let them sit for about five or so minutes. Is that good enough?

If this doesn't do the trick, what should my next course of action be????

Yes, patience. I'm thinking the bottles are not warm enough for full secondary carbonation to occur. Set aside az few months and see what happens. Make next brew and use plain sugar to condition bottles and see if they carb up then.

Stout with 9 pounds DME
36 days fermentation
9% ABV
19 days in bottle

I had one well carbonated bottle earlier in the week. Four today had very very little carbonation. Very little. I mean, hardly any.

This beer was bottled and capped using bottles, caps and a caper I had used before with good results.

3/4 cup corn sugar. No scale. Mixed into bottling bucket. Thoroughly.

If it's still flat by Friday, I'll pour it all into a carboy with a cup or so of brown sugar and a pack of yeast for a week and try again.

I had some carbing problems in my cold (~65F) house (no carb in over a month). The solution was bottle conditioning in a water bath with an aquarium heater set to 73F. No problems now.

Stout with 9 pounds DME
36 days fermentation
9% ABV
19 days in bottle

I had one well carbonated bottle earlier in the week. Four today had very very little carbonation. Very little. I mean, hardly any.

This beer was bottled and capped using bottles, caps and a caper I had used before with good results.

3/4 cup corn sugar. No scale. Mixed into bottling bucket. Thoroughly.

If it's still flat by Friday, I'll pour it all into a carboy with a cup or so of brown sugar and a pack of yeast for a week and try again.

My 5% cream stout took a good 5 weeks to carbonate....I think you need to let 'em sit awhile longer....

If the room is 65 and the bottles are on the floor it could well be below down 60 there. Soring them up higher will help. If you can put them on top of the refrigerator not only will they be up into the warmer part of the room but the fridge also makes a fair amount of heat. I like to put a thermometer in with the bottles.

After around 2 weeks re-ferment (never mind posting dates) the harsh alcohol taste and smell is gone. I didn't re-secondary. Bottled with 1 cup corn sugar and was sure to get some trub in the bottling bucket. Will taste in 2 weeks.

So I opened one today. Failure to ferment is no longer an issue.

:tank:
Rocket beeeeeerrrrrr,
gushing like a rock-et beeeeerrrrr
It's a rocket beeeeeerrrr
Rocket beeeerrrrr
:tank:

Put 3 in the fridge.

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here, HUGE success

After refrigeration, the rocket beers settled down and they are great. So, if you have crab problems, I suggest doing that what I did in this here thread.

:mug:

I agree with the other posts....put the bottles in warmer place. Like near the boiler or water heater. Also check to make sure that the caps are on right.

I once tried to use some twist-off bottles and they didn't carbonate well. I think all the gas escaped out the top. I was told that I could use twist off bottles, so I tried like 4 bottles and they didn't carbonate well, but the regular bottles others did. You could have a bad batch of caps.

Back