Recipe critique - Pumpkin Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpaltan

Reaction score
Hello. Getting ready to make my second beer ever (as well as designing my first beer) so any help would be appreciated.

Ingredients:

7lbs. dark malt extract
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1 lb. brown sugar
4-5 lbs. roasted pumpkin, quartered, peeled and spiced
1 oz. Fuggles
.5 oz Tehnanger (sp?)
California Ale Yeast

1. steep malt and pumpkin at 150 for 30 min.
2. Remove the malt and pumpkin and bring to boil
3. Add DME, Fuggles, and brown sugar. Boil for an hour
4. Add Tehnanger for a 2 minute boil.
5. Pitch yeast when cooled.

My main concerns are when to add and remove the pumpkin, and should I use a muslin bag for the pumpkin? Also, do I need gypsum or any other agent. Finally, did I get the correct malt bill/extract for it to be a porter as final product?

Here are some threads regarding pumpkin ale that will give you some insight on using pumpkin in a beer. Both of these recipes have been widely brewed on this forum.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26699&page=2

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23489

Are you going for a pumpkin pie-like flavor, if so I'd recommend some traditional pumpkin pie spices as well. (discussed in the above threads)

As far as whether the style is porter or not, it looks like it might work, but I'd research some other recipes, I'm thinking you might want a mixture of Dark and light/medium extracts.

You'll probably have the right color for a porter, but you may be missing the key ingredient of some Black Patent. Most of us shy away from dark extracts, as we have no idea what's in them to make them dark. Instead, we use light extracts and increase the specialty grains to get the desired color and flavor profile.

Porters and pumpkin ales usually don't use (aroma/flavor) hops, so I'd recommend sticking to a single hops addition at the beginning of the boil (either variety you specify will work at a strength of 1-2 oz depending on how bitter you want your beer).

Go ahead and leave the pumpkin in the beer throughout the boil. You'll get max flavor from it that way.

I second McK's suggestion of a few complementing spices. Perhaps 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, allspice, and/or ground cloves would be nice.

I would also add some grated nutmeg to it, that adds a nice flavor. I agree about the hops, you really don't need a late hop addition.

I might also suggest nixing the brown sugar. Most brown sugar in stores is just cane sugar with caramel flavor/color added. The sugar will ferment almost completely leaving you with a thinner, drier beer. Instead add a .5-1lb of maybe a 40L crystal malt...the amount really depends on the malt extract.

Back