Hello and new rig pics - Detroit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

924RACR

Reaction score
By way of intro, pics of our new all-grain rig. I've gotten together with some fellow racers, who've I've managed to lure back into home-brewing it seems. They had some prior experience using canned kits... then we enjoyed the Detroit Brew Factory while it was around (RIP!)... got back to the kits, but that didn't thrill me, so I decided, after watching a home-brewer's day at a local microbrewery (Liberty St.) to go and jump right into all-grain - much more my style.

I personally like to jump in way over my head whenever possible - so decided the best way to get started was build my own rig. All gravity fed, no pumps (expensive and PITA), but the rig folds right down to fit through a sliding screen door. It's all aluminum, recycled scrap from trailers, racecars, and misc other fabrications. Still needs some finishing touches (like a bottle opener!) but at least is functional. Still have to plumb in gas and water, and get better burners.

Folds down just behind the mash tun...
rig1.jpg

First batch was an IPA, all-grain batch from Malty Dog...
rig2.jpg

My goodness. I live right down the street (P-Ridge). I love it when new (especially enthusiastic) people join the hobby in the immediate area. Congrats, and welcome!

LOL - cheers, guys!

We do indeed have some serious trees looming over our house - but you're right, those pics were actually taken in Salem Twp at a friend's place, where we actually have space to brew...

Wings fan? You have to ask? ;)

Monster Bayou Classic burner and proper mash paddle have been ordered... so we'll definitely have some work to do before the next batch gets rolling...

Thanks! Has actually grown a bit since those early days; will have to upload a new pic or two...

Update, more recent pic of the rig - in the folded position! Still need to remember to take a pic of the rig fully erect and in action - was a touch busy this last brew, trying to make it all come out right!

IMG_0325.jpg

And finally, a pic of the rig fully erect, populated and brewing, from our Good Friday brew, latest in our home-grown IPA recipe...

IMG_0337.jpg

Back