Help dry hopping my bitter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishersfirst

Reaction score
So I've got an English special bitter fermenting away in the primary for the past 5 days.

Ingredients so far:

Maris Otter pale malt
Crystal malt (120L)
Torrified wheat

Challenger 0.8oz at 60 min
Fuggles 0.8oz at 30 min
EKG 0.3oz at 15 and again 5 mins

OG 1.060, hoping to finish at 1.014

I'd like to do a dry hop that adds some aroma without going overboard and in sticking with the style of beer type

Any suggestions of which hops to use in the dry hop?
I'm thinking of 0.5oz of Challenger and 0.5oz EKG for 5-7 days added to the primary after 2 weeks??

Thoughts/ suggestions?

Cheers!

I love EKG for dry hopping bitters, Challenger has a great aroma too and blends well with other hops so Id say go for it.

Sounds good to me. I really like using ekg to dry hop (one of my absolute favorites).

If you need a taste tester, send some to me! :drunk:

my special bitter has .5oz each challenger and ekg dry hop in the keg - great combo IMO and doesn't dominate the beer

Since your major aroma additions are EKG, I'd dry hop with an ounce of fuggles to get that flavor/aroma combo going. EKG and fuggles are great together!

Thanks guys.
I'd be dry hopping for the first time. I normally do a primary fermentation then siphon into a bottling bucket for priming ANC then bottle straight away.
Would you recommend dry hopping in the bottling bucket (now the secondary) or just banging the hops in the primary and leaving for another week?

Thanks guys.
I'd be dry hopping for the first time. I normally do a primary fermentation then siphon into a bottling bucket for priming ANC then bottle straight away.
Would you recommend dry hopping in the bottling bucket (now the secondary) or just banging the hops in the primary and leaving for another week?

Just add the dryhops to the fermenter about 5-7 days before bottling.

Latest posts

Back