Your Favorite Hop For Dry Hopping IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to dry hop a modified long hammer ipa clone recipe soon ... and all I have in the freezer is 1oz of cascade and 2oz of willamette. Any one know what the final taste difference would be if I went with just one variety or maybe a combo of 1oz of each of them? Thanks!

Anyway, long story short - I'm looking to try hop varieties (other than Zythos, which is hard to get) that are similar to good ol' cascade but with the grapefruity/citrusy flavor aspect toned down a bit, or a hops that will blend well with cascade and offset some of that grapefruit. It sounds like there are a lot of centennial fans here but I don't feel like anyone has really explained why this hop is such a favorite. Any suggestions? :mug:

Maybe try Ahtanum. Sort of a toned down Cascade but with a hint of spice.

Im really fond of my Citra IPA (probably my favorite beer of all time) and I do a Citra/Chinook combination or a Citra/Amarillo both come out very good. I just use Calypso for the first time in a wheat and loved the aroma so gonna try a Citra/Calypso next time I brew it (which will be soon cause I like to have a constant supply of this IPA)

I've been impressed with 2oz of Willamette (leaf) dry hopped for 7-10 days. It brings a different type of hoppy aroma and is a nice change from Amarillo/Cascade/Centennial. I made a really good IPA with Warrior and Amarillo then dry hopped with Willamette.

It depends on the profile I want, but usually some combo of 2 or 3 of the following pellets for American IPAs:

*Citra
*Amarillo
*Simcoe
*Centennial
*Cascade
*Summit
*Horizon
*Columbus
*Nugget
*Galaxy
*Chinook
*US Northern Brewer