I know it's early , but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
Just popped a Kolsch that I bottled this past sunday. The beer taste great but smells a hint of rotten eggs. I know it's early but is this a problem?

So far 1 week primary, 1 week secondary and 1 week in the bottle.

I used White labs WLP029 Kolsch yeast of which I understand can put off the egg smell.
Will this go away or will I have to deal with it.

Way too early - it needs another couple of weeks in the bottle. Open another in a week and see where it is and then let them alone until 3 weeks in the bottle.

Patience grasshopper!

Yeah, Kolsch yeast can thow off some sulfur. A longer time in the fermenter helps with this, but even though it is in bottles now the flavor will subside, it's just going to take some time. Give it at least a couple more weeks than try one out. The flavor will eventually age out.

Just checked on a Kolsch that's on it's 10th day in primary - I've never smelled such a stink coming off of a beer! I was planning on keeping it in primary for 10 days and then lagering at 35F for 2 weeks or so and then kegging and conditioning for another 2 weeks. Hopefully the stink will be gone by then.

Even though it smelled like death, I gave it a taste and it was actually pretty tasty!

Back