Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAccidentallyCider

Reaction score
Hey after reading through a couple of posts I thought I'd ask just what this is.

I noticed my air lock wasn't bubbling. I let it sit for a day, I then noticed this on the side of the tank.

If it helps...
I used:
  • ec-1118
  • 4lbs cornsugar
  • ~5 gallons of 100% apple cider (only apples)
  • - Sterilized with 1-step before hand
any suggestions are appreciated.

the only thing i can think of is I might have killed the yeast (the cider was a little bit chilled when I mixed it together.) but i did activate the yeast with the instructions on the packet

li2rl.jpg

Looks like yeast to me. It's also possible the corn sugar might not have mixed up and has formed some chunks. Make sure it settles in at around 60-65ºF and you should be fine.

Looks like yeast to me. It's also possible the corn sugar might not have mixed up and has formed some chunks. Make sure it settles in at around 60-65ºF and you should be fine.

Thanks!

Should I be worried about no bubbling? I've read that some cider bubbles very little, but I've also read that it's supposed to bubble alot.

When did you pitch the yeast and what temp do you have the carboy sitting at?

about 24 hours ago, and it's sitting in a room that's 64 degrees F.

The cider was a little cold when I pitched it. I'm worried maybe the temperature shock from the warm water to the colder cider killed the yeast (if this is possible). Should I be worried or just be patient?

about 24 hours ago, and it's sitting in a room that's 64 degrees F.

The cider was a little cold when I pitched it. I'm worried maybe the temperature shock from the warm water to the colder cider killed the yeast (if this is possible). Should I be worried or just be patient?

If it has only been 24 hours and the temp is 64 degrees, I would be patient. I would think you would see some signs of fermentation in the next 24-36 hours.

Even if you killed off half of the yeast when you dumped them in, you should still have enough to finish the job. I wouldn't worry about it.

IAccidentallyCider said:
the only thing i can think of is I might have killed the yeast (the cider was a little bit chilled when I mixed it together.) but i did activate the yeast with the instructions on the packet

Unless the juice had an unknown sorbate or other fermentation killer (you say just juice), you should be fine, EC-1118 has a wide temperature range once it warms a bit it should take off. If not, toss in a little yeast energizer.

Back