Stout Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you used Stout Malt?

I was told that it would be sweeter yet low in color. And that I should mash low otherwise the sweetness would be very high.

But according to what read else where, stout malt is used in Stout's because of it's high diastatic power thus enabling it to convert a high % of unmalted adjuncts.

If the latter is true, then there is no need to mash at a low temp. I'm making a sweet stout so I don't want it to end up too dry.

Can anyone confirm either of the two conflicting descriptions for Stout Malt?

Beeston's (Scotland) I believe was the malting house.

Stout malt has the same srm range of pale ale, its not going to give you crystal sweetness.

"As its name implies, Stout Malt is used for brewing Stout beers. Note that the colour is low and often not important, since the colour of Stouts comes from the roasted malt.

Steeping, germination and kilning are controlled so that good modification takes place and there is sufficient enzymic development to ensure conversion of the roasted malt and any other adjunct used."

the diastatic power is around 60L whereas english pale ale is around 45L

L = degrees lintner

60L isn't alot, so don't think you can just load up with adjuncts and specialties, If you find some, I'd treat it much the same way that you would english pale like maris otter ie small amounts of adjuncts and specialty malts

Dave

Back