Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my fingers crossed that there wouldn't be more than 5 threads created about this. :cross:

Well if you consider that there's been articles and subsequent threads about this since he was first elected, we exceeded that quotent 3 years ago if not on the first mention of this..... as to this particular resurfacing of the tale I do believe this is thread number 3 in the last 12 hours..... so we're getting there.

Don't people look at thread titles of ACTIVE threads at least? The word Obama is clearly in the title of 2 active threads at this moment.

This one, President obama, a home brewer??

And this one. Obama handing out free suds in Iowa

ANd this one from 2 months ago..... Obama and Homebrewing = Opportunity?

And these two from last year. (Both closed by mods.)

And a whole bunch more.

I guess I just don't get what about breaking the law by transporting beer (that someone else made for you) across state lines is so exceptional that it requires 3-4 threads to discuss it.

I saw this on Yahoo last night as well. The AP released almost the EXACT same article about 3 years ago. Pretty lazy journalism.

Anyway, it is actually the White House executive chef doing the brewing, at the Obama family request.

I saw this on Yahoo last night as well. The AP released almost the EXACT same article about 3 years ago. Pretty lazy journalism.

Anyway, it is actually the White House executive chef doing the brewing, at the Obama family request.

Came here to say the same thing.

ztexz said:
I worked in the White House for two years -- about half under President Bush and half under President Obama in a non-political capacity (I was on the staff of the NSC). Politics aside, the President is a REALLY nice guy.

My favorite encounter with him:

About a week after President Obama was inaugurated, I was on duty in the White House Situation Room. The director of the CIA called in and said he needed to speak with the President. No problem (the director of the CIA is on the very, very short list of people who can speak with POTUS whenever he wants). The President was over in the residence, having dinner with his family and some friends. Mind you, the first week that the President is in office, he is NEVER at the White House -- he's always traveling around, meeting someone, somewhere. He probably hadn't spend more than, literally, about a day and a half in his new home.

So the steward gets the President and puts him on the phone with me. I explain the situation, and tell him that the call should happen on a secure phone. The President paused for a minute and said, "OK, where do I find one of those? Do I need to come to you?" No, I said, and told him a room in the residence that had a secure phone. He paused for another minute and said, "Uh, OK. I have no idea how to get there."

And I ended up giving the President directions in his own house to get to...his bedroom. He just started laughing at himself.

Not the funniest story you'll read on here, but it was great to see the very human side of this larger-than-life figure.

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

I like how all the comments on that usa today story are just complaining about wasting the tax payers money.

Would they be happy if he just spent twice as much on store bought beer?

I like how all the comments on that usa today story are just complaining about wasting the tax payers money.

Would they be happy if he just spent twice as much on store bought beer?

When I read about the homebrewing for the Super Bowl, the article made a point to say that he had the equipment purchased with his personal funds so that tax payer money wouldn't be used to make the brew.

I'm interested in knowing what his opponent thinks about homebrewing (or beer in general)...

MC

Considering that Romney is a Mormon, I think it's safe to say that he personally does not partake. That does not necessarily mean that he views the right to brew or drink beer is a sin, or is against the American public from making their own choices.

You're forgetting the cost of building the White House twice, upkeep for the lawn that one has to walk over to get to the kitchen, the salary of the entire Secret Service since they technically ensure Obama's safety as he brews, the cost of keeping the helicopters going since they will take him to the hospital if he drops his carboy, which of course leads to the training of the pilot etc etc. White House home brewing actually costs us $14 trillion every year.

(you won't get this joke unless you've read 'cost of homebrewing' threads before)

Give a guy a break - with the weight of being the leader of the free world on his shoulders, do you expect him to come up with specialty brews?

I know if I was married to a wife like his I would be drinking every chance I got.

;)

Very cool story!

I worked in the White House for two years -- about half under President Bush and half under President Obama in a non-political capacity (I was on the staff of the NSC). Politics aside, the President is a REALLY nice guy.

My favorite encounter with him:

About a week after President Obama was inaugurated, I was on duty in the White House Situation Room. The director of the CIA called in and said he needed to speak with the President. No problem (the director of the CIA is on the very, very short list of people who can speak with POTUS whenever he wants). The President was over in the residence, having dinner with his family and some friends. Mind you, the first week that the President is in office, he is NEVER at the White House -- he's always traveling around, meeting someone, somewhere. He probably hadn't spend more than, literally, about a day and a half in his new home.

So the steward gets the President and puts him on the phone with me. I explain the situation, and tell him that the call should happen on a secure phone. The President paused for a minute and said, "OK, where do I find one of those? Do I need to come to you?" No, I said, and told him a room in the residence that had a secure phone. He paused for another minute and said, "Uh, OK. I have no idea how to get there."

And I ended up giving the President directions in his own house to get to...his bedroom. He just started laughing at himself.

Not the funniest story you'll read on here, but it was great to see the very human side of this larger-than-life figure.

I have a buddy in the secret service. I asked if there was a chance of getting some, he is going to speak with the chef... I'll report back if I end up with a bottle.

You're forgetting the cost of building the White House twice, upkeep for the lawn that one has to walk over to get to the kitchen, the salary of the entire Secret Service since they technically ensure Obama's safety as he brews, the cost of keeping the helicopters going since they will take him to the hospital if he drops his carboy, which of course leads to the training of the pilot etc etc. White House home brewing actually costs us $14 trillion every year.

(you won't get this joke unless you've read 'cost of homebrewing' threads before)

Don't forget the cost of the lumber for the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria - and the Mayflower too.

Considering that Romney is a Mormon, I think it's safe to say that he personally does not partake. That does not necessarily mean that he views the right to brew or drink beer is a sin, or is against the American public from making their own choices.

His running mate is Roman Catholic so that should even things out a bit. :mug:

Pose for a pic with jimmy & billy...:D But I do imagine he has a nice SS conical. That's be a good question during one of those question & answer sessions. But at least he home brews. With his own fresh honey yet. Now that's cool. Maybe he should have michelle grow him som hops as well?

Airborneguy said:

Pure winnage :D

A0XIg84CMAAiz92.jpg:large

courtesy of stone

It would be funny if he tried one and looked at the brewer and said, "You didn't brew this."

Boy said:
It would be funny if he tried one and looked at the brewer and said, "You didn't brew this."

"This is the honey blonde? Tastes just like Guinness. Great stuff. But I can't drink more than one because it's too heavy, and this 5% ABV hits me like twice as hard as a Bud Lite's 5% ABV. Hmmm... if I pay for the ingredients can you make me a batch of Bud Lite?"

Just trying to play off some of the humorous and flattering responses some of us have gotten to homebrewing with the irony of the Presidents recent gaffe.

Well, as you all are wanking about, I just sent an email to the POTUSA and his kitchen staff, requesting they give me their recipes and brewing details!!! I'm gonna brew a clone.

And if they don't respond in a timely manner, I'll file a FOIA request.

:drunk:

Yeah but you wouldn't want to drink any because it goes through you.............wait for it................

Fast and Furious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back