Pee Green Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoMNTwins

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of American Pale Ale and decided I wanted to go heavy on the hops, but the problem was that I didn't properly adjust my recipe to hop pellets (it called for leaf hops). I made 15 gallons and separated it into three carboys, and am bottling it in three stages to see how different they turn out. The beer in the first carboy was extremely thick with hops and was impossible to rack, I had to pour it into a sanitized bucket through a screen to actually get pure liquid, and the beer inside was the color of pea soup. It tasted great and smelled better, it was a nice blend of hops, and was extremely smooth. Should I worry about the color of the beer? Will it change in the other carboys fermenting longer? Does anyone have any suggestions for racking a beer that is so thick?

Welcome! from another Vermonter.

I personally have no experience with this type of thing happening. You shouldnt worry too much about the color of beer, but I'm wondering why the hops havent settled out in the trub. How long has this been in the primary before you racked it?

You may also want to try posting these questions in an appropriate forum (Beginners brewing, All grain, etc.)

The hop sludge should have settled to the bottom. If your racking cane is getting clogged with hops then maybe you forgot to put the little cap on the end that is designed to prevent that stuff from getting in. If the future make sure to handle the carboy gently when racking to avoid stirring up the trub. By pouring the beer through a screen you severely oxidized it and could get off flavors as a result.

Thanks. The first of the three carboys was racked 5 days after it was brewed, and I intend to rack the second one after 12 days, the third whenever, depending on how the beer in the second carboy looks.

I just had the same problem and posted the same question. I had some good comments in the thread I posted last night ...

Cliff's notes: Don't worry about it - drink it.

Back