EdWort's Apfelwein : Couple of Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
Up here in Canada we don't have Tree Top Juice. Is that like a clarified Apple juice in a tetra pack, like Sun-Rype up here? Or is it more like the unclarified stuff in the 4 litre jugs?

Also my LHBS suggested putting in pectic enzyme (?). Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks Rudeboy

Any juice that contains no preservatives should work just fine. Ascorbic acid is acceptable. Tree Top is a major brand of juice here, it's filtered and very clear.

As far as pectic enzyme or other additives go, I see no need to stray from the master's original recipe, at least not for your first batch. Juice, dextrose and yeast! The results are spectacular.

It can be any juice with no preservatives added. I use the Kroger brand juice and it works out great every time.

Rudeboy said:
Up here in Canada we don't have Tree Top Juice. Is that like a clarified Apple juice in a tetra pack, like Sun-Rype up here? Or is it more like the unclarified stuff in the 4 litre jugs?

How does the Apfelwein turn out if you use the unclarified stuff instead?

How does the Apfelwein turn out if you use the unclarified stuff instead?

I am in the process of doing this myself and I have one question... is it supposed to clear up like to original recipe??? its been 22 days and it has not yet cleared. should I just bottle it. specific grav is ~0.98

any comment would be appreciated I am new to this.

Cider/unfiltered juice benefit from the pectic enzyme addition; your choice to use it or not. I do.

I used pectic enzyme like you suggested and if has clarified beautifully. When I added the Pectic enzyme I got a second go around of fermentation, not sure why but I think it might be because it made some new fermentable surgars..... but not sure. I bottled it and it became clear after about 4 weeks. Thank you for the help

I have an apfelwein made from unfiltered juice last fall. I tried to clarify with KC, and while some whitish sediment did fall out, the liquid is still quite cloudy. About the top 2 inches have cleared somewhat, after three weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next? Gelatin perhaps?

Latest posts

Back