Festbier Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think you are going to have much luck at making anything like an oktoberfest even in ale form from extract... You would at least need to mash the munich I would think to get the maltiness...

Williams Brewing has an extract they call German Gold that they say is made from Munich and Pils malts//http://www.williamsbrewing.com/GERMAN_GOLD_EXTRACT_6_LBS_P362C99.cfm.

Don't think you are going to have much luck at making anything like an oktoberfest even in ale form from extract... You would at least need to mash the munich I would think to get the maltiness...

Really old thread but I just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion on converting this to an extract brew. My friend is getting married in October and asked me to provide some beer. I'm really pumped about it and since he's a homebrewer who's a hop-head I wanted to go the other way for his guests. He's brewing too btw. In any case I've got plenty of time for it to age to greatness and I'm looking for a solid Oktoberfest extract recipe. And please don't say just go to AG. :)

I went all grain over a year ago and will never go back.
All my friends want more and of my beer now and I can't keep up with demand.
When I did extract there was always that extract taste and it never tasted like real beer.
I did extract for over 20 years and I'm glad I switched to all grain after my local brew master convinced me to try it.

I brewed this back in january, let it have a nice long primary and a nice looong cold condition in the keg. I mentioned before that it came out strong because I had just gotten my barley crusher. 7.7% and it is so amazing, words cannot describe. It has the wonderful maltiness of an o-fest with a little bit of fruitiness from the alcohol. It is crystal clear, there's just some frost on the glass in this picture:
20090131_Dopple_O-fest.JPG

Nicely done Coastarine! It's a big beer, but it's designed to be a big one, but the BC has always helped make my beers even bigger. :D.

It's amazing how beers come into their own after a couple of months of aging. Congrats!

Hey Ed sounds like great recipe. Just wondering about the amount of water used for the mash and temp/amnt of water for the sparge. Please advise thank you very much.

It's amazing how beers come into their own after a couple of months of aging. Congrats!

Should aging in the keg be done at room temperature or at serving temperature? I currently have mine in the kegerator but would be willing to move it back to room temp if that would decrease the aging time necessary. I was a bit more efficient that I wanted and started at about 1.065 down to 1.012, pushing me to a bit over 7% ABV.

I'd have to recommend aging as cold as possible, mainly since the style is actually a lager. Lagering really helps make the beer more lager-like.

I'd have to recommend aging as cold as possible, mainly since the style is actually a lager. Lagering really helps make the beer more lager-like.

Consider it done... need to make some space in the keezer... if only I could find some people to drink that 5 gallons of apfelwein....:mug:

What does everyone thing about this converstion? I've never done AG before but figured a mini-mash of a couple of pounds would be a good way to ease in...

4.13 lb Pale Liquid Extract
4.13 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract
2.00 lb Munich Malt
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt

Not changing anything on the hops bill.

Ed,

What was your efficiency on this? 14lbs of grain for a 1.062 seems like a lot. Beersmith puts me at just about 67% efficiency to get those numbers.

Brewed 15 gallons of this stuff this morning. Had awesome efficicney as the O.G. was 1.071 with all German malts. My Blingmann boils off 3 gallons in 90 minutes. That may had something to do with it. :D

Pitched it on three separate WLP029 yeast cakes and they are fermenting away at 60 degrees. I will leave it at 60 for a month then drop it to 35 for a month, then keg it for serving October 24th.

I've been looking for a "fest-ish" sort of beer to brew for this fall and came cross this recipe. However I'm in the same boat as a few previous posters in that I'm only doing extract currently.

Is this not an advisable recipe to attempt with extracts? Any suggestions on another direction to go for a similar sort of beer in extract form?

TIA

What does everyone thing about this converstion? I've never done AG before but figured a mini-mash of a couple of pounds would be a good way to ease in...

4.13 lb Pale Liquid Extract
4.13 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract
2.00 lb Munich Malt
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt

Not changing anything on the hops bill.

Anybody second the Jedi's recommendation? I would like to brew this obviously highly recommended brew this weekend.

What are the ramifications if I have to ferment this baby in the 65-70 range?

Brewed 15 gallons of this stuff this morning. Had awesome efficicney as the O.G. was 1.071 with all German malts. My Blingmann boils off 3 gallons in 90 minutes. That may had something to do with it. :D

Pitched it on three separate WLP029 yeast cakes and they are fermenting away at 60 degrees. I will leave it at 60 for a month then drop it to 35 for a month, then keg it for serving October 24th.

I did mine about 10 days ago. I am at 64 degrees and will be there for another couple weeks. Then into the keg/secondary and the fridge at 35 until the beginning of October when I will carb it.

about to flame out 5.5 gallons of bee cave oktoberfest ale....

hit an o.g. of 1.064.

looks like a great beer, always wanted to brew an oktoberfest yet switching my fermentation fridge to lager temps would suck.

I also pulled 4 pints of mash for a decoction to go from 154 to mashout, should be interesting!:rockin:

Anybody second the Jedi's recommendation? I would like to brew this obviously highly recommended brew this weekend.

What are the ramifications if I have to ferment this baby in the 65-70 range?

Just a follow up. I brewed a partial that I converted on Friday. Will post below. I did 4# on the partial with 6# DME to make up the difference but I was lucky and got 92% efficiency bumping my OG up to 1.072 all said and done. I think this will be a good beer!

On the ramifications, earlier in the thread I read the WLP029 will give off more fruity esters if fermented in the high range (above 65). EdWort said he dropped it to 60 and removed a lot of the fruitiness. Currently I am at 65 with the "bucket in the cooler" method. I iced the water before putting the bucket in and am changing ice containers (frozen water bottle for me) every 10-12 hours but I live in SoCal. Looks and smells good so far!

Bee Cave Oktoberfest Partial

3# Pilsen or Light DME
3# Vienna or Golden DME
2# Munich
.5# Pilsen
.5# Vienna
.5# Caramunich
.5# Caravienne

I adjusted the hop weight because my Alphas were higher for my hops.

I made my second attempt at this baby last night and it went well. My first shot two weeks ago ended with me dumping it before the boil, since I had a stuck sparge and the bill was just too much for my 5 gallon MLT. Now a new 52 qt cooler and setup (driven by thirst for this brew) - here's my adaptation of the recipe - LHBS specific grains as available + my learning of grains (e.g. no 10L Munch) ..:

Amount Item
6.00 lb Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (5.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.60 lb Munich Malt (30.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)

-10 min 2.00 oz Saaz [2.60 %] (First Wort Hop)
60 min 2.00 oz Saaz [2.60 %]
40 min 0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %]
25 min 0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %]

OG - 1.080

It looks as smells heavenly! Four weeks to go...

I did mine about 10 days ago. I am at 64 degrees and will be there for another couple weeks. Then into the keg/secondary and the fridge at 35 until the beginning of October when I will carb it.

When you put it in the keg/secondary, do you have a modified lid to accommodate an airlock? Or do you just fill the keg, put the lid on, and place it in the fridge (no CO2)?

Did a close approximation of this today... Oktoberfest_Brew pictures by shiplax27 - Photobucket

Oktoberfest Ale

5.5 lbs. German 2-row Pils
4 lbs. German Vienna
1 lbs. German Light Munich
.5 lbs. Dingeman's CaraMunich

.75 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.

White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch

Original Gravity 1.053
Terminal Gravity 1.013
Color 9.92 °SRM
Bitterness 23.6 IBU
Alcohol (%volume) 5.1 %

Brewed this last night and hit on OG of 1.069 for an efficiency of only 71%.

This brew is going to be awesome.

Efficiency could be better, but only my 2nd AG and I need to hurry up and get another few kegs so I can condition.

I checked my gravity tonight and am down to 1.028 (1.034 4-5 days ago) from an OG of 1.080. According to BeerSmith, that's 6.81% (targets were 1.076 -> 1.018 for 7.61%). I think I need to scale back on the grain as I must be getting higher than 75% eff. (new MLT I thought would be worse).

Should I let it ride or pitch more yeast to finish lower? It tastes great, but I'm not in too much of a hurry. I plan to crash cool it and lager for another 2-3 weeks at 35F.
Any suggestions welcome...

Ed,

is 5.5 gallons your volume in the fermenter, or in the bk prior to transfer. I do not have vienna malt, but do have 55 pounds of maris otter. do you think i could substitute this?

maybe 4.5 pounds of maris otter, 1 pound of vienna? Just trying to limit the amount of grain i have to pay $2.00 a pound for at the LHBS.

Thanks

I'd have to say that the munich and vienna are crucial to this recipe. I don't think marris otter can substitute. It wouldn't ruin the beer, for sure, but it won't be what it could be IMO.

I am cooking up this recipe Saturday. Have alrready done BierMuncher's one and will be nice to compare this 2. also doing Haus Pale Ale again.

help with the brew. I got the stuff to do it and wanted to double check some things with it.

1st. for the single infusion am I adding the rec. amount of water letting it sit for 90 min. Do i need to do a protein rest or ascid rest?

2. I do not have the capability to cold crash but I will be adding irish moss near end of boil will this be okay for the flavor?

thanks in advance

Ed,

is 5.5 gallons your volume in the fermenter, or in the bk prior to transfer. I do not have vienna malt, but do have 55 pounds of maris otter. do you think i could substitute this?

maybe 4.5 pounds of maris otter, 1 pound of vienna? Just trying to limit the amount of grain i have to pay $2.00 a pound for at the LHBS.

Thanks

An English Malt for a German beer???? If that is all you have, then go for it, otherwise I would use Munich malt.

I am now enjoying my second go at this one (this time I hit my OG dead on instead of being so high). The color is just awesome.

In the spirit of experimentation I think I will try using nottingham at 60*F next time. I am trying to cut back on using liquid yeast whenever I can and I'm not sure how much I love this kolsch yeast. Only way to know is to try it out.

i brewed this beer a coupe months and with kolsch yeast and hit the final gravity on the dot. After a little over 2 weeks in the primary i took a gravity reading after the airlock bubbled once every 50 sec and it read 1.014 and fig it was good enought as i had a friend over to help bottle. So i went ahead and bottled and let it sit for 2 weeks and tried my "2 week" beer. It cardinated fine but had this awful rotten egg smell but didnt taste bad. So I fig i would wait and try it again after a few more weeks. Its now been in the bottles for a little over a month and it still has that nasty smell. It isnt as bad but still to the point where its strong enough its hard to drink. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I am afraid that since its in the bottles the smell is trapped in! Is there anyway this smell will go away. I just got a keg system can i transfer to a keg? I really would like to have some tasty oktoberfest so I am all ears for a way to save this brew (kolsh was ferm. at 66F)

the german ale/kolsch yeast tends to put out a strong sulphur smell. Your beer might have reached terminal gravity, but it is possible the little yeast guys were not finished cleaning up their mess (the smell).
if it were me, i'd put a bunch of bottles in the 'fridge and let it cold condition for a few more weeks. the OP does this w/ the kegs (see the fermentation notes on the 1st page).

Back