Neighbors From HELL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is a carryover from a post on the Ethics thread. I posted about an issue with my crazy neighbor. I figured that this is probably a common problem because I know there are a lot of bad neighbors out there.

In every neighborhood you have your collection of psychos, hoarders, nasty old people, yard Nazis, and my favorite trailer trash. I'd love to hear some outrageous stories about your experiences.

Hey - maybe you are a bad neighbor. I'd love to hear your side as well.

Obviously we should keep real names out of the picture to protect the guilty.

I'll start:
I have really, really bad neighbors. They've lived next to me for 10 years. They're finally in the process of moving. The entire block is seriously considering a party after they leave. They owe everyone money, the house looks and smells like a dump, and the police show up about twice a week.

They are leaving because they've lost their home. No one lost their job. They just don't believe in paying stuff like a mortgage, bills, or utilities. The house has been in foreclosure for over 3 years, but the bank can't officially foreclose because they pay just enough of the mortgage to stay in the house. Mean time they drive a 40K truck.

At least one utility per month gets shut off. One time their water got shut off. They asked if I could run a hose over the fence so they could have some water to fill some pots and pans until they got it turned back on. They have kids, so I agreed. They took my hose and attached it to their water spigot so that my water was running over the fence and powering their entire house. They were cookng, cleaning, washing laundry, and showering for over a week before I noticed it and finally pulled the plug.

Before leaving the house they completely stripped it. They took the light fixtures. They took the doors. They punched holes in the walls. The coup de gras was leaving 3 cats inside the home for several months without any litter boxes. I can smell the house from my back yard.

There was a huge 12x12 shed in the back yard that was up on skids. When I left for work on Tuesday I noticed that their fence was knocked down. I could see the front-end of a white Buick sticking out of the fence. They put chains around the shed and were dragging it out of their back yard to take to their new home. They actually dragged it out of the yard and down the street at about 5AM. I really hope the cops intercepted the shed, but I have no idea.

I could go on and on, but at least they will be 'officially' gone soon.

Damn. Worst I got was I thought my neighbors were fighting outside and I could hear stuff being broken so I went out to make sure no one was being assualted. Turns out they were drunk yelling at his dog trying to get it out if his car.

You got it way worse than I have.

Except for a few instances.... the cat wizz incident, the unknown reason for the "trashed" lobby, and the guy across the street who screams and throws his pants out the window... I've had it pretty good so far.

Did have something happen that pissed me off pretty good though.

Sometimes we leave the apartment door unlocked. We shouldnt, but we do. Yesterday evening we get a knock on the door... upstairs neighbor is asking to turn down the thermostat (the one in our apt. runs the whole house). "Shucks, Bob" I say "the thermostat hasnt worked in days..." "Oh, its fine now, I changed the batteries."

"You came into the apartment when we werent home?"

"Yes, the heat wasnt on... I rang your bell but you werent home to let me in..."

SWMBO is saying soothing things because she knows I am livid. I walked out of the room to calm myself down and to get a piece of paper and a pen. I wrote my phone number on one half, tore it, and handed it all to him. "I want you to call me the next time this happens. I do not like anyone in the house when we are not here. Please put your number on the other piece of paper."

He was very apologetic, and did as I asked. Thats when I pushed it maybe a little too far. "I dont ever want to have this conversation again"

He said he understood. My wife wished him a good night but I stayed silent.

We have had 0 other problems with these people in 5 years. He has elderly parents upstairs with him, and the house was freezing cold apparently, so I dont know if I would have done anything differently than he did.... but man was I ever pissed off.

That's a weird situation that your thermostat controls the whole building. Is this a house that's been sectioned off into apartments?

And if it were freezing cold, the heat wasn't on and the guy who has the thermostat let the batteries be dead for days, not only would I have come down there and let myself in, I'd have still been there when he got home.

Its a bit longer a story than that. Not sure why the one thermostat controlls the one house, but we had been told that a new thermostat was being installed in the basement, which would turn ours off. When the thermostat went off in our apartment we figured that that was what happened. At no time when we were home did we notice a lack of heat (he had already replaced the batteries while we were at work, and we didnt bother to look at it.)

I like you, Zul, but I tell you right now, if had done as you said you would do, you'd be speaking to the NYPD inside an hour.

I think if we came home to a sticky note on the door saying he changed the batteries I would have been ok. It was finding out days later that pissed me off.

My friend the pastry chef had a hoarder who lived in his building. The roaches used to run from under the door into the hall... pretty disgusting. It used to sound as if an apartment was constantly getting robbed, because to get in she would have to ram the door with her shoulder.

Its a bit longer a story than that. Not sure why the one thermostat controlls the one house, but we had been told that a new thermostat was being installed in the basement, which would turn ours off. When the thermostat went off in our apartment we figured that that was what happened. At no time when we were home did we notice a lack of heat (he had already replaced the batteries while we were at work, and we didnt bother to look at it.)

I like you, Zul, but I tell you right now, if had done as you said you would do, you'd be speaking to the NYPD inside an hour.

Then we'd all have a nice chat :mug:

Now if neighborino knew the downstairs thermostat was supposed to be working and he still went to your apartment, that is a different story.

We had some bad neighbors in apartments. As a kid, my folks managed the units we lived in. We went to clean out one after the tenants moved and it was trashed. TRASHED! The stove top looked like they had been cooking on it without pots. Holes in walls behind the doors where door knobs had been bashed into them. The tan linoleum in the kitchen was gray with black trails where they walked the most. The toilet... we just replaced it.

Then we had the kung-fu masters. These guys got into a huge knock down drag out fight one day. I swear, it was like watching kung-fu theater. The old man there could whip some ass too.

And the noise. Look, I know it's just walls between us, but damn. We lived in some after getting married and it sounded like a kid jumping on a pogo stick in the kitchen. I went up to politely ask for them to tone it the %^&$ down, and sure enough, it really was a kid jumping on a pogo stick in the kitchen. We found out later they were related to the owners, just like the other new neighbors, and there was a plan to get everyone out so they could just rent to family.

Then there was Mr party all night in Texas. Dude would vibrate the whole building all night into the early morning. Me and the guy downstairs from him complained to him and management. The management were total wet noodles. No help. Once he started beating the crap out of his new girlfriend though, it became a matter for someone else to deal with. I don't know if he made so much noise in his new apartment or how those tenants dealt with it. ;)

Here now we just have Bill's used cars across the street. These people have more cars than, than I don't know what. Something with a lot of cars. It's only really a bother when we have to take our garbage down the street so the truck can get it. Mostly though, folks here live and let live.

I had a neighbor when I lived in a real crappy (walls falling in, ancient wiring, pipes breaking) apartment. this guy would always come over wanting to borrow ketchup, socks, and/or underwear from either my roommate or I. my roommate & I came back from a party one night to find the guy broke in & playing our Playstation. "Dude! your door was locked so I had to climb through your window." no cops were involved as we lived by "snitches get stitches".

I had a neighbor when I lived in a real crappy (walls falling in, ancient wiring, pipes breaking) apartment. this guy would always come over wanting to borrow ketchup, socks, and/or underwear from either my roommate or I. my roommate & I came back from a party one night to find the guy broke in & playing our Playstation. "Dude! your door was locked so I had to climb through your window." no cops were involved as we lived by "snitches get stitches".

Sometimes, when I am feeling brave, I want to turn off my tv and just listen to billy's stories.

Sometimes, when I am feeling brave, I want to turn off my tv and just listen to billy's stories.

I has some stories. here's a great one that involves beer: back in vegas, during all the punks fighting each other (as well as the skins), there were a few different punk crews. I had friends in all of them because I didn't care about their drama. a new guy moved in from OR. he went to a party at a crew house. all the punks & skins were getting trashed on cheap beer & whiskey (as usual). everyone was pretty well hammered when the beer ran out. the guy fresh from OR stepped outside to find a guy sitting on the curb. he sat next to him. the guy already sitting drank way too much & started projectile vomiting. the OR guy cupped his hands and caught a large amount and proclaimed, "Beer!" a moment of sobriety washed over him and he restated himself, "That's not beer." two of my best friends just met.

When I lived I had a horrible neighbor. He was married to a woman from Columbia and they had a daughter who were very nice. This guy was trailer trash who had money. He treated his yard as a compost bin. Any thing that they didn't finish eating was thrown in the back yard. There was no fence between our property so my dogs would always go over and eat what ever he threw out. I was ok with most of it until the chicken bones and gizzards started being disposed of this way. I went over and had a talk with him about it and it stopped for a couple of weeks. Then they got a cat and started throwing away the litter in the yard.

SWMBO went out of town for the weekend so I decided to throw a chicken on the BGE and made some sides that would suffice for lunch and dinner the following day at work. The neighbor is out grilling as well and is quite drunk. Flames are flying out of his pit and he's not doing anything about it. He tell me he's making a South American meal and that I should come over for dinner. I told him I was fine and had my own dinner. He then decided we should have a potluck. Like a sucker I went over. He cooked a chuck roast that was beyond well done and dry as shoe leather. He and his family picked my bird clean and finished the sides. No one ate the beef. To top it off I took a four pack of boulevard Doublewide over. He asked if he could try one and I let him know it was nothing like the Natural Ice he was drinking. He cracked a bottle took one sip and poured it all out. He then proceeded to ridicule my taste for beer. I never stepped foot in his house again

Story 1:
Go back 3 years, swmbo and I move into an apartment together, in all my life being an apartment dweller I have never received a noise complaint. At this place grumpy b. lived below us, every week he was either calling security or the police because we were being to loud. Before anyone goes defending her, one of the times she called a noise complaint in was at 10:30 am, and i went into work at 9, and swmbo went in at 8. My boss who has known me since 2001 has never seen me so mad.

Story 2:
Go back 6 years, I was working overnight at a drugstore, and we use to have a lady come on all the time at 3 in the morning wasted of booze and lord knows what stumble around my store knocking stuff over all the time. Well 2 years ago we left the place above grumpy b. to another complex ere in town. First year and a half go by great, had two separate sets of good neighbors. Then it goes bad overnight lady moves in (from here on out will be called "wt") with her mom and two kids. Well every day she's fighting with her boyfriend baby daddy number 2, fighting with her mom, yelling at her kids. Her mother is slightly better. Her kids are terrors, while our dog had her cone of same and stitches in her tail the daughter would come flying out the door grabbing at the poor dog and her tail. After a couple weeks of living there wt was getting all her stuff from her storage unit and buried my front door, then just stood there while I had to move her crap to walk the dog. She left her 4 year old and 7 year old home alone. An recently was outside yelling and screaming about how she was going to beat someone's car with a baseball bat. I have a recording on my phone of her sitting outside during summer vacation in broad daylight and every other word out of her mouth is the f bomb.

Needless to say they are why we are moving.

Screw neighbors. Ive dealt with enough crappy ones while living in crappy apartments that i probably am one.
I usually have issues when it comes to noise because i am a slight audiophile and i really do restrict the amount and times my system gets loud but neighbors dont try to understand that and like to call the cops everytime its on. At that point i stop apologizing and start ignoring them and if they persist... I face my speakers into thier walls.

I have stories for days. Od'ing, fighting, spouse abuse, parking issues, noise, garbage not being taken out and more.

I have to write my crappy neighbors story here. Its gonna be a great one. Stay tuned names and address might follow.

I live in an actual ghetto. There isnt enough space on this forum for my stories of neighbors

My PWT neighbors have both been deemed unfit parents, and their respective parents are also unfit to raise the kid so the state currently has it. 4 weeks ago his brother gets shot/killed for kicking in the door of a duty cops house while the cop was home. His whole family is one the local news, their elected spokes person (looks like and acts like a meth addict) says "He was a good guy, he wasn't no ******* like the rest of us". Two weeks ago today the cops arrive at PWT's house at 1 in the afternoon. Apparently they got in a fight, and she stabbed him then he called the cops on her, the cops determine she has a restraining order against him (he has been living there all along) so after a trip to the hospital for stitches he went to jail too. That was the last straw for the neighborhood, we are voting them off the island.

I must be fortunate: neighbours on one side are living in a other country for 3 years, en de the otjer neighbour is my brewmate :)

Here's what I do when my neighbors party too loud on a damned weekday night when it is bedtime:
a) put mousepad against the wall
b) continuously bang a hammer against the mousepad on the wall until the music is turned off.

Works like a charm every time. I guarantee that if they try to ignore me or turn it up louder, I'll set my alarm to 5 am and I'll give them the worst hangover headache they've ever had in their life.

any of y'all ever seen that show about the Full Throttle Saloon in Sturgis, SD?

Yeah. Coworker and i were just talking about it yesterday. Some episode where axel rose refused to play for a small crowd @ full throttle's neighboring competitor-- only to change his mind later that night and play for even less people (because most of them migrated over to full throttle).

Here's what I do when my neighbors party too loud on a damned weekday night when it is bedtime:
a) put mousepad against the wall
b) continuously bang a hammer against the mousepad on the wall until the music is turned off.

Works like a charm every time. I guarantee that if they try to ignore me or turn it up louder, I'll set my alarm to 5 am and I'll give them the worst hangover headache they've ever had in their life.

You still have a mouse pad?

Here are the crackheads up the street cleaning their their mom's gutters. This is was taken just before a US Marshall was sitting on the house for 2 weeks looking for her. She is the one on top of the chair, which is on top of the recycle bin

167090_10150138273360269_6246178_n_zps85396fc1.jpg

Yeah. Coworker and i were just talking about it yesterday. Some episode where axel rose refused to play for a small crowd @ full throttle's neighboring competitor-- only to change his mind later that night and play for even less people (because most of them migrated over to full throttle).

the crappy building I lived in was the same building Goat Boy lived in. I knew that guy way before he had anything to do with the Full Throttle. my roommate & I were good friends with him & his wife. his apartment faced the street while ours faced the ally. we used to hang out there once & a while and I'd always end up trying to spit on the passers by. he & his wife used to own the bar where I met my wife. funny thing, I've never watched that show. I've seen enough of the drama there first hand and even got thrown out before.:rockin:

A few years back I bought a house in a semi- residential area. I have 3 acres, but I do have several neighbors. A buddy and I were riding around one day and he wanted to see it. It was about a week before I closed on it,we pulled in drive walked around the outside of house checking things out for a few minutes, then we left. A week later were moving in, my neighbor walks up, doesn't say hi or anything, she says is that your truck? I said yes, she says I saw it here about a week ago and I called the police on you! I said gee thanks! She didn't apologize or welcome me or offer to help a little! She turned around and walked home! What a ***** and still is most of the time.

Not really bad but really nosey

I had lived in my house about 3 years, one day I get a phone call claiming to be the lady across the street whom I had never seen or met, but understood to be old and in poor health. One of the other neighbors who I knew was her niece, who looked after her, and I frequently saw the niece or her husband go back and forth between houses. She was calling to ask if I had been aware there was a car pulled over in my drive the night before and the police had hauled the guy off and a tow truck took away the car in my drive about 12-1 am. I lived just off a main street so it could happen. I said no, I missed it. but they would have sure been surprised if I had come home from work in the middle of the thing. The lady replies, yes they would have, I noticed that you are now on dayshift. I had been on afternoons up until the Friday before.

A few days later I saw her nephew, and commented that I had had a call from his aunt and mentioned the conversation. He replied Oh yes, she knows every car that comes and goes in the neighborhood, and where they all go. You were really driving her nuts when you were working on your jeep and UPS or fedex was at your house once a week. Then you would open your garage door a couple feet, and she could see you in there, but not what you were doing. I told her you were rebuilding a car in there and it was really none of her business, but that didn't ease her worries.

I am actually pretty lucky, with 2 exceptions of the crackheads, and the stabbers, and they really don't live next to me. I have a great neighborhood. One of the neighbors has a huge yard, and a bonfire every friday where the good neighbors all swing by and socialize and have a beer when the weather is good.

I only have one story about bad neighbors. In my apartment I have neighbors on all 4 walls, I only ever hear the upstairs neighbors. The dude is abusive to his girlfriend but ignoring that since I assume he's never hit her just calls her all kinds of names. Also a chance he may have had more than one girlfriend I don't know.

Anyway he's also a really obnoxious Giants Fan, I found this out when he flipped out when they were eliminated by the Packers in 2010. Anyway aside from the occasional annoyances like him exercising and listening to the worst music possible, he's normally ok and I dont' complain too much, but last NFC Championship game I almost filed a noise complaint, because he took to stomping on his floor (my ceiling) chanting "eli" over and over again because the 49ers fans were chanting defense on the TV.

Not really bad but really nosey

I had lived in my house about 3 years, one day I get a phone call claiming to be the lady across the street whom I had never seen or met, but understood to be old and in poor health. One of the other neighbors who I knew was her niece, who looked after her, and I frequently saw the niece or her husband go back and forth between houses. She was calling to ask if I had been aware there was a car pulled over in my drive the night before and the police had hauled the guy off and a tow truck took away the car in my drive about 12-1 am. I lived just off a main street so it could happen. I said no, I missed it. but they would have sure been surprised if I had come home from work in the middle of the thing. The lady replies, yes they would have, I noticed that you are now on dayshift. I had been on afternoons up until the Friday before.

A few days later I saw her nephew, and commented that I had had a call from his aunt and mentioned the conversation. He replied Oh yes, she knows every car that comes and goes in the neighborhood, and where they all go. You were really driving her nuts when you were working on your jeep and UPS or fedex was at your house once a week. Then you would open your garage door a couple feet, and she could see you in there, but not what you were doing. I told her you were rebuilding a car in there and it was really none of her business, but that didn't ease her worries.

I am actually pretty lucky, with 2 exceptions of the crackheads, and the stabbers, and they really don't live next to me. I have a great neighborhood. One of the neighbors has a huge yard, and a bonfire every friday where the good neighbors all swing by and socialize and have a beer when the weather is good.

When I was in high school we had an old lady like that living across the street. I got busted every time I got home late. I'd get dropped off in front of my house and I'd see her curtains moving. I swear she never slept! She'd blow me in to my mom the next day. When I got older I got to know her and she was actually pretty cool. Hated her when I was a teenager though.

One advantage - Your house will never get robbed.

Anyway he's also a really obnoxious Giants Fan, I found this out when he flipped out when they were eliminated by the Packers in 2010. Anyway aside from the occasional annoyances like him exercising and listening to the worst music possible, he's normally ok and I dont' complain too much, but last NFC Championship game I almost filed a noise complaint, because he took to stomping on his floor (my ceiling) chanting "eli" over and over again because the 49ers fans were chanting defense on the TV.

I don't know about the abuse stuff. That doesn't sound good at all. I think you've got to give him a pass on the Football. I've been know to get a little overly involved in a game every now and then.:mug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back