American IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is sort of a permutation of Edworts wounded knee IPA, with some changes. If you have any suggestions for the hop shedule/grain bill, please chime in!

12lb american 2-row
1lb Munich
.75 crystal 60

Beer calculus has me at a 1.065 with a 70% mash efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch, and 65 IBUs.

Hops:

60-.5 Amarillo
45-.5 Simcoe
30-.5 Cascade
15- 1 Cascade
10- 1 Simcoe
5- 1 Amarillo
Flameout additions will be .5 Simcoe and .5 Amarillo, just to use up the remainder of the 1oz packets.

I was thinking of dryhopping with one oz of each hop in the recipe- 1oz simcoe, 1oz amarillo, 1oz cascade.

How does the schedule look? Is it a bad idea to dryhop with three varieties at the risk of having a garbled hop aroma?

As for yeast, I'll most likely just go with 05.

I've also been toying with the idea of adding some sugar and just calling it an IIPA, in which case I'd probably bump up the 60 and 45 additions to a full oz.

Any thoughts?

Edit-also, Mr.Malty has me needing 1.2 packets of dry yeast for this batch...should I give it a go with one, or just toss 2 full packs in? I know overpitching is less of an issue than underpitching, and frankly, I'm not keen on this being a yeasty/estery IPA. I may have answered my own question, haha.

Love the hop combo, but not sure on dry hopping all 3. A friend of mine did 2 Ales and dry hopped 1 with Amarillo and the other with Cascade and said the Amarillo dry hopping was far better. I love the way Amarillo hops smell so I would dry hop that but that's just me :). At any rate, good luck!

Cheers! :mug:
Rob

Looks good! I like the malt bill & hop choices. Should be tasty!

As for schedule, I'm not sure abou the 45 min additoin. That will probably only give you bitternes, so why not put it in at 60 mins? It wouldn't hurt at 45 min. Perhaps you moved it there to get your IBU's down a bit?

The rest looks reasonable. I like those 3 hops together, so dry-hop with all 3!

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Looks good! I like the malt bill & hop choices. Should be tasty!

As for schedule, I'm not sure abou the 45 min additoin. That will probably only give you bitternes, so why not put it in at 60 mins? It wouldn't hurt at 45 min. Perhaps you moved it there to get your IBU's down a bit?

The rest looks reasonable. I like those 3 hops together, so dry-hop with all 3!

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Thanks for the advice! I moved the 45 minute addition back to 60min, IBU's only came up a little. Other than that, I left everything else the same.

I'm still a little up in the air regarding the dryhopping...

Also, should I up my flameout additions? I only went with those quantities as that would be what's left over from the one ounce bags. I love a hoppy, aromatic beer, fwiw:mug:

Some other thoughts/suggestions, rather than using expensive hops like simcoe and amarillo for your bittering, maybe try using something like magnum or warrior to get your IBUs where you want it. Move the 30 min addition to 20 mins and add the hops that you had at the 60 min addition to your other additions (maybe flamout?). Don't be afraid to mix up some different hops in the same addition.

Also, plenty of IPAs dry hop with simcoe & amarillo, so it could be interesting to try and see how all three turn out.

Some other thoughts/suggestions, rather than using expensive hops like simcoe and amarillo for your bittering, maybe try using something like magnum or warrior to get your IBUs where you want it. Move the 30 min addition to 20 mins and add the hops that you had at the 60 min addition to your other additions (maybe flamout?). Don't be afraid to mix up some different hops in the same addition.

Also, plenty of IPAs dry hop with simcoe & amarillo, so it could be interesting to try and see how all three turn out.

What he said, may as well use a cheap, easy to get bittering hop to bitter. And I have used 1oz each of cascade, Amarillo, and since for dry hop before. It smelled phenomenal.

Great advice, thank you so much!

That makes a lot of sense with the bittering additions...may as well go with something a little cheaper/more common, if no flavor/aroma is coming from it.

Instead of a 60 min bittering addition try a FWH (first wort hop), add the .5 oz of Amarillo in your boil kettle while your doing you mash runnings. Then dont do another addtition untill your 45min mark. Leave the FWH in the whole boil. I tried it for the first time on an IPA and it was awesome, so balanced. Cheers, grain bill looks great..

Back