PBW Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drybass

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First time brewer here; just made my first batch and I feel like there should be a cause for concern. I was misinformed about PBW and was under the impression it was a sanitizer. Eager to make my first batch, I didn't read too much into it as I thought I was set and was too busy reading about everything else.

Everything I used soaked in PBW and was rinse just prior to me using it, however, there was no sanitizer. I also used the PBW water in my airlock, but I have not had any overflow. I am just about to enter the bottling stage of my process and was wondering if it may be too late for my beer, or if the PBW soak and rinse was good enough

This is a total bummer, I knew I should have just bought the Star San, too.

Ouch... well, you may still be alright. Here is what you have in your favor; new equipment should have a low soil load. Unless there was a grain mill in the vicinity of where the fermenters were stored, they shouldn't have been exposed to much that bacteria could feed on, and therefore are unlikely to have been harboring much in the form of spoilage organisms. While PBW is not a substitute for a sanitizer (as you now know!), the fact that you cleaned everything thoroughly is in your favor.

The thing to do is wait and see... taste a sample when you go to bottle it, most bacterial infections create strong, sour flavors. Unless the beer tastes like vinegar or something nasty, you should be ok. Bottle it, keep a blanket or something over it to contain any possible bottle bombs just in case.

Go buy some Star San or Iodophor for next time, they are your friends!

Well, there is no going back now. If the samples smell and taste fine then go ahead and bottle it. If you haven't already I would definitely pick up some starsan to use for the bottles though.

Iodophor is quicker, but stains if spilled. Best to use it outside if you are like me and clumsy or drink a few while bottling. A taste test will tell you if it is OK for sure. If it is sour or has a strong un-beer odor pour it out and start egain. But I think you will probably be OK... They didnt have sanitizer 3000 years ago when the pharoah was gettin his beer goggles on. Learn for the next time and good luck.
Bob

Who knows - if everything started clean, your beer may be able to defend itself. I'd replace the PBW with starsan and let er go. I hope you got a healthy yeast population into it right away - that might be as important as the starsan.

Back