Beer Law: "While Brewing, Drink Beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 'couple' of my home brews when I am Brewing, racking, bottling, or even drinking my home brews. :)

I find that enjoying one of mine while I am brewing can sometimes cause me to wonder how I can possibly improve my next batch.

Most times just one pint but, last brew a couple of friends came over we made bbq and tried to empty the keg. What a mess, left the fly sparge going to long ended up with 8 gals in the bk. Boiled it down till I ran out of propane but still had 6 gals. Poured in some corn sugar, half a jar of honey and a pint of molasses I had laying around and got the og up too 1.056. I was aiming for 1.060 Forgot to aerate. Over-pitched the yeast and woke up with a big head ache and a mess. Think I will chill a little next brew...
I hope the beer turns out ok I have 6 gallons of it. LOL

I get up early enough to usually be pitching the yeast between 9 and 10am, so I wait until the wort is cooling before I have my obligatory beer. I tried the whole smash a bottle on the fermenter like they do for ships deal instead of having a pint before noon, but that just ended up with a big mess in my basement. Just drinking it instead is much cleaner.

I don't drink while I brew, a six hour brewday that starts in the AM leaves me wiped out by the time I am cleaning the last pot or bucket. Then I'm usually obligated to put in some family time in the evening since I can't deal with distractions when I brew.

If I was single, had all day and hanging out with a buddy it would be different though.

Brew day starts at 6 am and ends well before noon for two reasons: i) saves most of the day for other weekend activities and ii) pretty much precludes drinking while brewing, which, for me, translates to better beer.

Am i breaking the law by waiting until i am done, i dont thing my swmbo would aprove of me drinking at 8:30 am

This was my main question while brewing my first batch three weeks ago. I say it should be mandatory!

I don't like to drink during a brew day That starts mid-morning to clean & sanitize stuff one more time before using. Darn pets & flies. Ends in the evening,though sometimes I get a late start. By the time I'm done,I'm ready for a few. I like to be clear headed when I'm brewing anyway.

I have a few while brewing.

Doesn't feel right without 'em. I'll actually put off brewing until I can drink a few. I'm mildly OCD, fairly anal retentive, and a general worry-wort.

so having a couple while brewing helps me not spend the day obsessing about every little detail.

Usually on brewday I get up and dressed and whatnot, then sit and go over my notes Ive built up on what im making and write a outline on the entire brewday. After thats done I start brewing and drinking, I try to only drink my own while brewing. The outline I have sitting on the counter next to me so a bit of a buzz doesnt cause me to forget and omit steps.

Back