First All Brett Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshareed

Reaction score
After lurking for a while, I decided to take the plunge and brew and all Brett beer. Now I have a few questions.

I went with a fairly simple recipe:
4.00# Maris Otter
3.00# Light DME
1.00# Wheat DME
0.75# Crystal 120
0.25# Pale Chocolate
1.0oz Cluster @ 60min
0.5oz Cluster @ 30min
0.5oz Cluster @ 0min

I did a 3 day sour mash with the grains (for some sourness and a lower pH). I combined the DME and soured wort at the beginning of the boil.

I decided to use Brett L (WY) and made a big starter on the stir plate that I stepped up over the course of 10 days. I pitched at 70 and have been fermenting at 72 for the last 10 days. So now for my questions:

- any idea how long I can expect fermentation to go for? I'm assuming it is OK or even a good idea to gradually step up the temp to help the Brett finish out?
- with Brett as the primary yeast, is there going to be much flavor development if I let it age in a carboy for a couple months or is the bulk of the flavor done?
- I was thinking of splitting the batch and aging half on fruit. Anyone have suggestions for the type of fruit that works well with the Brett L?
- I was going to bottle the batch. How long would you let it sit with no FG change before you felt confident enough to bottle it? Would you cold crash and add gelatin before to take as much yeast out of suspension as possible?

I think that's about it. TIA.

I am by no means an expert on this, but I brewed my first all brett beer on 11.14.10, and just recently the airlock activity has diminished. I plan on letting mine sit for another couple weeks, then bottling (or kegging, haven't decided yet).

I fermented it at 64-66F for the first 5 or so days, then at 74-78F for the next 4 weeks. I sneaked a sample every now and then to see how it was coming, and I have to say, this yeast does need some time. At first, it smelled wonderful, like a pleasant farmhouse ale would, but didn't taste like much. As of my last tasting, it had an even better aroma, and full flavor that I would be confident to push on discriminating connoisseurs. I'm really looking forward to chilling/carbing this one.

Sorry I can't be much of a help. Hope yours turns out good.

TB

Thanks, it's another data point. Which Brett strain? Did you build up a starter or pitch it straight? I brewed a tripel yesterday so I could take advantage of the warm fermentation freezer (and so I'd be less likely to rush the brett beer).

I used Wyeast Brett Lambicus. Yes, I made a 1600ml starter, but didn't step it up. My OG was 1.050, and it appeared to be a very healthy ferment.

I want to do another all brett beer, but split it up and use some bugs for half of it. I think that would make a very interesting brew.

TB

Tiber- did you sour the beer at all? How was the flavor? I chose the WY Brett L because everything I read said ended up fairly fruity.

Tiber- did you sour the beer at all? How was the flavor? I chose the WY Brett L because everything I read said ended up fairly fruity.

Well, yes and no. I have about 5 gallons in a carboy now that is not soured at all. I took .5 gallon of it and put it into a growler and added WY Roeselare with some foil over the top. That is starting to develop a slight pellicle on the surface, and is getting just a hint of sourness.

As far as the flavor, I'll comment on the main 5 gal batch (no bugs) -it was pretty bland at first, up to about two weeks ago. Now it's developing some complexity and the yeast is starting to drop from suspension. It doesn't taste how it smells, but it both tastes and smells wonderful. It's hard to describe, other than the standard "barnyard," or "farmhouse" descriptions. I think the phenolics will turn away some beer drinkers, but I love it (when it's supposed to be there). Of course, I'll have better, more accurate tasting notes once this is cooled, carbed, and served properly.

TB

Back