Guinness Foreign Extra Stout!! Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Holy Crap! Stopped in the store last night looking for something a little different when I saw a pack of Guinness with a different looking label. It was $7 for a four pack and it was called their Foreign Extra Stout. After reading the label I was intrigued enough to check it out, and let me tell you - Damn this beer is good!

Being a pretty big Guinness fan at the beginning of my Beer Renaissance I know fully well what Guinness brings to the table. It's a unique and distinctive beer that is good, but somehow fell from my beer graces since I've been exploring other stouts and porters (and also with my new realization that I'm a complete hop-head!) Anyways, I didn't expect anything drastic, but once again I was completely amazed at how good this was. It was different than the original in a lot of ways. Didn't have the distinctive Guinness "sour" flavor that I don't think many people like completely. But it was full bodied and very rich. It has more hop flavor to it, and there is a beautiful roasty aftertaste to it that leaves you craving another chug immediately after each one you take!

Well, I'm still blushing from this tasty brew but I feel much better after sharing this with all of you. Just wondering if anybody else has similar feelings for her, and of course also if anyone else has checked into a recipe formulation for it. I really don't know where to start right now, but I feel like getting to work on this quickly so let me know what you guys think!

Cheers and Slainte!

I picked up a 4/pk of it this past weekend....definitely a good beer. I paid $10.80 for it here in PA. To me it put through almost a nutty flavor and a wonderful mouthfeel. At that price I probably won't buy it again but it was definitely worth having.

I haven't tried this yet, but will as soon as I can find it - no luck so far. There is a clone recipe in the BYO 250 clone recipe magazine, but it is ridiculously complicated, involving 2 separate mashes and three separate fermentations (one with Brett for 2 or 3 months) and combining everything at the end.

on a separate side note what is the proper name for classic Guiness? it's decent beer but i've had much better stouts. i kind of want to try this one now

on a separate side note what is the proper name for classic Guiness? it's decent beer but i've had much better stouts. i kind of want to try this one now

The guinness (dry stout) you get in the black bottle/can is referred to as guinness draught.

IIRC, this is the first year Guinness Foreign Extra is being distributed in the states.

I use to get this all the time in bottle in Dublin. My buddy picked this up a couple of weekends ago and I tried one. It's not as good as i remember, but it's still pretty damn good.

The guinness (dry stout) you get in the black bottle/can is referred to as guinness draught.

IIRC, this is the first year Guinness Foreign Extra is being distributed in the states.

cool just had no idea what the proper name for this was. I will pick some of this up I know a place that should have it

I picked up a bottle of this when I got a mixed sixer last week, I was really looking forward to it.....but, my wife used it yesterday to make the spent grain bread recipe in the cooking forum. Looks like I'll need to pick up some more.

yeah snowveil, I definitely picked up a little nuttiness to it as well. And I liked that in it. My beer tasters (my two brothers and our dad) love my Double Slutty Triple Nutty beer the best out of all of my beers (It's my version of Lil Sparkys Nut Brown). And so far, one of my brothers tasted this Guinness with me and we both liked it a lot.

Very Nutty

As far as I know, that makes three different types of Guinness stout available in the US:
Guinness Draught
Guinness Extra Stout
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Is that correct?

1 can Guiness foreign extra stout, 1 lb stew meat, carrot, potatoes put in slow cooker for 6 hr on low.........best stew ever !!!!

I have a fantastic guinness beef or lamb stew recipe but it's a little more complicated......wonder if the foreign extra makes a difference

As far as I know, that makes three different types of Guinness stout available in the US:
Guinness Draught
Guinness Extra Stout
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Is that correct?

Man...here I thought that Draught and Extra Stout were the same thing. Now I find out they're different? :confused:

Sorry to revive old thread, but is this the right stuff?
100_2001.jpg

damnit i already drank one think they would let me return it? anyway it's pretty decent figured something was up when people said they paid $7 for 4 and I bought this case for about $14

Yes, it is fantastic. It took me a couple bottles to appreciate it, but it is a thousand times better than the bland stuff we are used to. It is much more complex, both in terms of roasty notes, but is even hoppier.

One of my coworkers told me just last week that the Foreign Extra Stout is now available stateside. Haven't picked up any yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Had it last around 2000 when I was in Europe. Good stuff.

So they wait until AFTER I move away from the States before they start distributing the Foreign Extra Stout in the States?

Rat bastards.

Just got some yesterday and am drinking the first one now. It's amazing. The head smell reminds me of starbucks cappuchinons. Definitely better than regular extra stout.

I grabbed three bottles @ $2.65 a coupla weeks ago on the way home from the airport. I have always liked Guiness Extra Stout, and like lots of different beers. But the Foreign Extra Stout may be the best beer I ever had.:mug:

i lucked out.. picked up a four pack.. $2.50. I think they mislabeled it...gotta love when big box stores f-up their pricing.

Anyone tried the sam adams imperial 4 packs? I tried the double bock, around 9 abv, half a pound of grain in each bottle, super tasty and man was i wasted. When i woke up i said to my wife" baby i drank 4 loaves of bread last night". This is a must try!

I had this when I was in Ireland towards the end of the summer. I had heard about it and was very anxious to try it. I was floored by the flavor! But saddened to know that once I got back home I wouldn't have it again. I got home and a buddy of mine that saves bottles for me went "I have some Foreign Extra bottles for you." I went "Oh, you me Extra Stout. Cool, thanks." He said "No, Foreign Extra, same as in the picture you have from Ireland."

Very happy am I! I love this stuff.

Just to add to the confusion. (I'm from Dublin. I know my guinness!). There's two types of Foreign Extra Stout.

The original one is actually brewed in the Guinness Factory in Nigeria, and contains sorghum in place of some of the barley.

Only in the last 10 years or so, have they started brewing it in Dublin, where they use 100% barley. This is probably the one they sell in the states. It's much better in my opinion.
You can sometimes find the Nigerian one in African Food Stores.

Had a bottle last night. Man this is a great beer. I am fond of Guinness Draught, but this one is much more complex and certainly hoppier. It wasn't overly roasty for an "extra" stout either, which impressed me. Still has that Guinness smoothness but which much more character.

I'm not a big Guinness Draught fan, but I agree the Extra Stout is special. A great brew to sip on a cold winter evening by the fire and/or with dessert chocolates. Yum!
I think I'll pick some up on the way home tonight...

Back