Tried to clear a pectic haze. Did I fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyfeet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Ginger Peach Mead that's been sitting around for about 10 months, and a Rhubarb wine that's been around for a while as well. They both had a bit of haze, so I threw in some bentonite (I want to bottle them soon to free up the carboys). After 3 days I didn't see any noticeable clearing, so I threw in some Pectic Enzyme.

It's been a few days since then, and I'm not seeing any clearing; they're still hazy! I read on an old thread that adding bentonite and then pectic enzyme is bad, as the two negate each other. Has anyone done this in the past? If so, what was the outcome?

How long should I wait until I give up and bottle them? Or should I try another fining agent to see if that helps? Currently I have Sparkolloid, but I don't like the super light lees it causes.

You could try a Chitosan + Kiesolsol combo for fining. Creates thick, heavy lees. I've had carboys disturbed heavily, and the lees just fall back to the bottom in about 5 minutes, clear as ever.

my wine kits always use bentonite before fermentation, not after...so I can't comment.
the fruit wines I made specified pectic enzyme prior to fermentations as well, not after.

I would try something like Super-Kleer/chitosan in this situation.

Malkore is correct Super-Kleer/chistosan would be your best bet. I know for a fact that the alcohol levels in most wine will kill off the pectic enzyme before it can work. It all depends why you want it to go clear. Even if it never goes clear it sound like it will still be quite tastey! Best of luck!

Thanks everyone! I ordered some Super Kleer online a few minutes ago, so I'll try that route when my order comes in.

... I went online to buy some $2 fining agent and ended up spending $250. How did that happen??

Back