need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyRed

Reaction score
First of all, I apologize...I searched and did not find anything that described my situation.
Brewed on Sunday (brown ale, 6lb LME, 2LB DME, and a a little brown sugar)). I pitched a smack pack (directly, without starter, probably dumb). It is now Tuesday afternoon and absolutely no action in the airlock.
Should I wait and for how much longer? I have some dry yeast available, should I re -pitch? If re-pitched, should I aerate again?

Temp is a consistent68-70 degrees

Thanks to all

Airlock is not an indicator of fermentation. Only hydrometer readings can measure progress of fermentation. Airlocks are just an avenue for CO2 buildup from fermentation to escape. It is likely that the CO2 is escaping another way, probably thru a non-airtight lid. This is perfectly fine and will do no harm. Leave it alone. In a few days check the gravity with you hydrometer to confirm it is lower then the OG and is progressing thru fermentation.

As many have said airlock activity is no gauge of fermentation. Let it sit for a couple weeks and check the SG. My bet is it will be just fine. :mug:

give it 4 days and then if you dont see any krausen, bubbles (in the beer itself), or anything in the airlock, i would check with a hydrometer. I have had beers take 5 days to start fermenting when i neglected to use a starter. Give it a few more days and do yourself a favor and dont do anything yet. Give the yeast some time to grow

Thanks! I have never had the airlock not bubble within the first day or two so I guess a got a little alarmed. Thanks for "talking me down". I will follow the advice and, as always, have total confidence in this forum.

Back