Guinness extra stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for a partial mash extra stout recipe. I had one for the first time this weekend. It was pretty good, much better than the draught. Anyone know where I can get a recipe for the extra stout that we have in here in the u.s.? I have a clone brew book, but it is the one sold in great britain.

Try BYO's 150 Clone Beers issue. I believe they had both types of guiness in there. I don't have mine handy or I'd post it for you.

So, after looking at my clone recipe book, they do in fact have a recipe. However, it's an AG recipe that I wouldn't feel comfortable converting to PM. Also, in order to get a good clone, the instructions get pretty tricky.

The recipe is actually 3 brews combined into one. The first is a typical pale malt base that you ferment at 68F. The second is a "coloring extract" that involves a few pounds of base malt and all of the specialty malts. You then reduce this to get a very dark 1 gallon beer. Ferment this at 70F. The third involves pulling 19oz. of beer from the first beer after the yeast has been pitched but before fermentation starts. Put this 19oz in a seperate sanitized jug and ferment it at 75F for 2-3 months with Brett yeast.

When all three beers are done fermenting, you combine them and bottle immediately. This is a very in depth clone and I don't know if you can really match it with a PM recipe.

Metsbrew, after looking at that recipe, I doubt it'll taste much like guiness. It's a little short on roasted barley, and a lot short on flaked barley. The addition of acid malt won't give you the same sourness you get from a guiness either...IMHO. Also, the hops are completely wrong...not that hops are a huge issue in a stout though.

It looks like a good recipe though, if you try it, let us know how it turns out.

Back