Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the ingredients for this today.... Brewing it this sat. How long do you condition it :)

This beer is ready relatively quickly. I found mine to be quite tasty after only 2 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in bottles. Longer aging times will help (it ages well), but the relatively average gravity means that extended aging is not NEEDED for the beer to be really good.

I made this a month or so ago & followed the recipe exactly. I love it & brought it to a party of normal corona/bud drinkers & it went over really well with people there as well, even a guy who NEVER drinks had a few and liked it!

My question, and my apologies if its already been answered (I did read the whole thread awhile ago...) my girlfriends friend is asking me for a "chocolate" beer.. I was thinking of doing this recipe again but adding nibs to my fermenter & maybe upping the lactose to a pound. Any idea on how that would turn out?

HBrew71 said:
I keg conditioned my first batch 2+ months. Second batch 7+ months. Both were good. But guess which one was better.

Ty...longer is better as usual :)

Brewed the all grain version of this today with GREAT success! OG turned out 1.061 with an even 5 gallon batch. Initial tasting (from the wine thief) was AMAZING! Nice work NCBeernut! Can't wait for a month to roll on by to try this thing at the next tasting when bottling hehe...

My question, and my apologies if its already been answered (I did read the whole thread awhile ago...) my girlfriends friend is asking me for a "chocolate" beer.. I was thinking of doing this recipe again but adding nibs to my fermenter & maybe upping the lactose to a pound. Any idea on how that would turn out?

You'll never know unless you try it!

Sounds pretty tasty to me though.... :mug:

I made this a month or so ago & followed the recipe exactly. I love it & brought it to a party of normal corona/bud drinkers & it went over really well with people there as well, even a guy who NEVER drinks had a few and liked it!

I suspect that would work VERY well. I have brewed this beer as-is, and it turned out VERY good. Adding nibs to secondary and sweetening with a little more lactose should make an EXCELLENT chocolate/dessert beer.

Let me know how it turns out, because I had the EXACT same idea!!! I want to try that variation next time.

DrummerBoySeth said:
I suspect that would work VERY well. I have brewed this beer as-is, and it turned out VERY good. Adding nibs to secondary and sweetening with a little more lactose should make an EXCELLENT chocolate/dessert beer.

Let me know how it turns out, because I had the EXACT same idea!!! I want to try that variation next time.

I added 8 oz of cocoa nibs in the secondary for a week after soaking them in a cup of vanilla rum overnight. Made it deliciously chocolatey.

Was supposed to do this last sat but Doing it on Monday. I was going through my store (organising all the ingredients) and came across some oak chips. I'm not sure i want to mess with a proven recipe but if I suddenly, at the last minute, decide to add some chips to secondary, how much would be enough and how badly would I ruin the taste?

Should I do it or not:)?

Just tasted after 4 weeks in primary. Hydrometer reads 1.016 for second consecutive week so I will bottle in the next couple days. OG was 1.06. Tastes a little 'hot' on the finish. Was expecting it to taste a little smoother and it actually did a week ago. I am a newby and followed the extract recipe. A little concerned by the taste and change of the taste since last week. Should I be? It doesn't taste bad just has a bit of bite to it I did not anticipate.

Currently, my fermenter is filled with my THIRD batch of this delicious brew. This time, I took particular care during the sparge, attempting to rinse as much of the grain sugar as possible into the wort. I must have succeeded because my initial specific gravity was a couple of points higher than in the other two batches. And THIS time, I'm going to be more patient, and let it sit in primary...and maybe secondary...for a longer period of time.

glenn514:mug:

Woohoo! Just brewed this for the first time (extract version). I ended with 1.058 OG and it tastes amazing! (chocolate and smokey is what I taste). I can't wait to try this when it's finished.

Opened my first bottles of this the other night after brewing it on Good Friday. Hands down one of my favorite beers I've ever had. Period. I'll be brewing this one again for sure. Nice work NCBeerNut!

Brewed this up yesterday.First stout i brewed and man did it smell good. When i drained the mash tun the wort smelled so good.It really smelled like brownies and coffee.

Hi, new brewer here. My first beer (kit) got infected, so I decided to be bold and try this recipe. Made a 3g extract batch and most of it is gone already, it's that good!

I did not use a starter and had fermentation within 48 hours. I used the 1-pound chocolate bar from Trader Joe's for chips, and the flavor is just OK; next time I will use chocolate with a higher percentage of cocoa - 72% or more.
My stout-loving from buddies approved this beer with high regard, though one person mentioned overcarbonation (but he's a Guinness drinker, so he's probably used to the cream feel of nitrogen).
I will definitely be brewing this one again, thanks/

Got the necessary ingredients from LHBS today. Will probably brew this up Monday. Probably will use US-05 as it is getting a little warm in my equipment room for Notty. This will probably be the last ale of the summer, planning to put this away for a while and enjoy the first ones for my birthday in late December.

EDIT: Brewed today. She's off!

Deception Stout.jpg

I'm down to my last bottle--everybody who has tasted it liked it.

I want to add some oatmeal to my next batdh for a little more mouthfeel. Maybe a stupid question, but do I still call it Deception Cream Stout? I don't want to claim my own name for such a trivial change, yet I don't want to call my brew something it is not.

What name should I put on the bottles?

And in general, how much would a recipe have to change before you would give it a different name?

I believe the "deception" comes from the fact that the beer tastes like chocolate and coffee, but there is no chocolate or coffee anywhere in the ingredients

The question was regarding the use of the name.

Trying to give due to the recipe's creator, do I still call it Deception Cream Stout or not (because I altered the recipe)?

Your label should read like this:

Deception Cream Stout (TM)*, now with OATMEAL!

*Original recipe by NCBeerNut (whoever that is). Recipe stolen shamelessly and violated repeatedly to suit my own tawdry needs. If it is delicious, thank me - if you don't like it, burn NCBeerNut in effigy on your own lawns, please. Patent lawyers, catch me if you can! Nah nah!

Tasted this tonight 7 weeks from brew day,and wow this beer is the best beer i have brewed. Its so good that i dont want to share this with anyone,its just to good.

thinking this will be my next brew to do ... has anyone tried uping the lactose to a full lb to increase the cream factor?

wormraper said:
thinking this will be my next brew to do ... has anyone tried uping the lactose to a full lb to increase the cream factor?

i did I thought it was great. It does take some time for this beer to come in to its own. Have a lot of patience and let it age.

so many pages to read through....even though it's the beginning of summer, I need to get some winter brews going. So one month in primary, 1 month in secondary? 1 month in bottles? On a side-note, what does flaked barley do to beer?

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
so many pages to read through....even though it's the beginning of summer, I need to get some winter brews going. So one month in primary, 1 month in secondary? 1 month in bottles? On a side-note, what does flaked barley do to beer?

i did 2 weeks in primary 1 wk secondary on cacao nibs and then aged it in bottles for 4 months

ChainPain said:
NCBeernut, what package size of 1084 should I use: XL (4.5oz and 100 billions cells) or regular (0.85oz 25 billion cells)?

Thanks in advance.

I know this question wasn't for me but regardless of which pack I use I would make an appropriate sized starter. You can go to mrmalty.com to get that calculation. if you dont want to do a starter use the biggest one available. I started using starters last year and the quality of the beer is much higher when yeast aren't stressed.

Hello hulkavitch.

According to that site I need 101 billion cells and 1 starter for half of the recipe, but in Beersmith when I resize the recipe it says 0,5 of the 100 billion package.

Thanks.

another thing to take in account is when the yeast was packaged. If the date on it is older the viability will go down and you will have less cells. Starters for me insure that you have viable yeast cells that are primed and ready to go, but if your numbers are right and you have plenty of cells i would just pitch the one pack. Every time I brew a beer beer smith tells me that I need to pitch 2 packs or do a starter.

Went to my LHBS today and picked up the following ingredients to make a 5 gallon batch of the Deception Cream Stout. Couldn't get everything exactly as listed on the first page of this thread, so I'd like to hear any input on how the changes to the recipe may impact the final product. Also, I've read through many of the 88 pages, but if anyone has suggestions that would result in the best final product possible I'm all ears. Planning on transferring from the 6.5 gallon primary carboy to a 5 gallon secondary carboy once the most vigorous fermentation is over. I'd like to age this several months (5 or so?) if you all agree that it would result in a better beer.

Any asterisked ingredient is different from the original extract recipe.

*3.0 lb Briess CBW Sparkling Amber Dry Extract [Recipe calls for 4.5 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %]
*3.0 lb Briess CBW Bavarian Wheat Dry Extract [Recipe calls for 1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %]
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
*0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 % [My label reads "Muntons Roasted Barley, British, 500 L, unmalted", and I'm not sure if this is an exact match]
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)

*0.75 oz Summit Hop Pellets - 16% alpha [Recipe calls for 0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 % alpha] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU]

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
*No Yeast Nutrient [Recipe calls for 1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)]

*Wyeast 1028 [Recipe used Wyeast 1450 PC]

Will likely be brewing some evening this week, and any advice would be appreciated. I'm especially curious how you guys think the change to the extract amounts will affect the recipe.

Hey, I'm really hoping to do a partial mash version of this for my next batch. I feel a bit foolish for asking this, but do you think there's any way for me to use a moderately attenuating dry yeast (such as Danstar Windsor) and maybe bolster the mouthfeel elsewhere (e.g. add some flaked oats or flaked barley?). I ask because the HBS I'm ordering from doesn't have a good selection of Wyeast, and to order it from another site would cost me £10 ($15). I know you can't put a price on good beer... But that's quite a lot for my first attempt at a partial mash!
If the yeast is fundamental to the flavour I guess I should shelf this recipe for a later date.

So I still haven't brewed this yet (see two posts above), but I had a question about the yeast. The lady at the LHBS said I didn't need to do a starter for the Wyeast 1028 I'm using. What are your thoughts on this? Also, it anyone can provide input about how my changes will affect the end product I'd appreciate it.

My opinion and observation of beer made with and without starters: Starters make better beer with less off flavors. The beer has to sit less time to work out off flavors from a stressed fermentation.

Dont stress out about it...if you dont want to make a starter dont do it your beer will still be good...

I've also learned to never take the word of a LHBS employee as gospel. I've spoken to a couple that were complete idiots.

That said, she is mostly right. There are very few "have to" rules in brewing. But a starter will make it better.

I brewed the extract today smelled great just. Wondering how much priming sugar to use

I tried a friend's go at the extract recipe and wow! Amazing!! I want to try this but with a big variation in it:

Double Deception Imperial Stout

I am planning on an AG version but I have a few questions though:

My goal is to hit 1.090 and to up the IBUs to balance that. My initial thought is to just up the whole grain bill by 50% and toss in about 55-65 IBUs of nugget at 60min. With my 3gal BIAB system at 66% that would look like this -->
Double Deception

Style: Imperial Stout OG: 1.093
Type: All Grain FG: 1.023
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 9.15 %
Calories: 304.24 IBU's: 56.50
Efficiency: 66.00 % Boil Size: 5.67 Gals
Color: 54.5 SRM Batch Size: 3.50 Gals
Preboil OG: 1.066 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
9.75 lbs 62.65 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
2.25 lbs 14.46 % White Wheat Malt 60 mins 1.040
1.36 lbs 8.74 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 60 mins 1.034
1.03 lbs 6.63 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
10.50 ozs 4.22 % Briess Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.033
8.25 ozs 3.31 % Milk Sugar (Lactose) 10 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 56.50 Nugget 60 mins 13.20

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1 dry pkgs Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 10 mins Boil
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient 5 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Profile Name: BIAB Setup

Grain Temp: 80.00 °F Mash Tun Vol Loss: 0.00 Gals
Grain Absorption: 0.15 Gals/lb Tun Temp Loss: 0.00 °F
Cooling Shrinkage: 4.00 % Kettle Trub Loss: 0.50 Gals
Hourly Boiloff: 1.50 Gals/hr

Mash Steps:
Mash In 90 [email protected]°F
Add 31.71 qts water @ 159.9°F
Mash Out 10 [email protected]°F
Heat to 168.0°F over 2 mins
Batch Sparge
Sparge 0.00 qts water @ 170.00 °F

Water Profile
(none)

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 30 days @ 65.0°F
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 74.0°F

Carbonation
Desired Vol of CO2: 2.30 Vols
Beer Temperature: 68.00 °F
Residual CO2 in Beer: 0.86
Table Sugar Required: 2.20 ozs

Notes
www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.0.5

Now a few things came up though when I was thinking about this:

Should I really up all the grain? Or should I just up the 2row to get 1.090?
I've never done a "double" of an existing recipe, so any help with this endeavor would be helpful!

Does a 1.5 L yeast starter (Wyeast 1028 smack pack) with 150 g (5.3 oz) of light DME sound reasonable for the 5 gallon extract recipe of this? I got the 1.5 L from Mr. Malty and the 150 g of DME from the "How to Make a Yeast Starter" illustration that was posted on HBT a while back.

I was hoping to use a smaller container for this; mine's only 1 L. If I'll need a bigger container for starters, would anyone have a recommendation for an affordable option? How's this 2L flask from Amazon look? I'd like to spend less if possible, but don't want to skimp and end up with a low-quality one that I'll have to replace.

Back